X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat

Not a lot of chat in these forums?

Chat - Recession.

Hi Merlin........Up to you.......start me off.......as those who know me will tell you I take some shutting up!

The effect of the recession is still with us. As in the early '80s, houses around here are going up for sale every day. 17 out of 60 in the main Village, another dozen or so round about. Again, in the 80s this impacted on the 'Bike market with modern stuff not moving, and the high value Classics dissapearing into collections, (Hedge Funds) of non motorcyle people. This is one reason for the birth of the GRA. What was left around, Villiers engined stuff, was, to quote an oft used media term, "Grey Porridge". But there was a market as many who had had James, FB's, etc., in their infancy of 'bike riding, (the 50's mostly), decided to get another one. Greeves, of course had a cachet from the TV Scrambles world. Initially many Greeves bikes, whatever their original purpose, were found as 'field bikes'. Nearly every Greeves that I went to look at, or was shown to me on those early GRA Stands at Belle Vue, Chester, etc., were touted as "Hawkstones". Poor things mostly, all dents, rough paint and knobbly tyres, but underneath hid a road bike or Trials, that some one lovingly restored.
    In my 'other' life, I do a bit of sailing and the Southampton Boat Show last year was an excellent example of what was going on. Many stalls were empty or selling Garden Furniture, Shoes and Dresses. More like a Car Boot Sale than a Boat Show! I expect that we will see a rise in Greeves prices as the nicer ones get bought up as investments again, until things improve.

What do you think?

Peter R.

Comment

Most forums seem a bit quite at the moment, I go on other forums including commercial vehicle & bus ones & its the same, some only getting a dozen or less postings a week. Probably the time of year, people not spending time on computor, although I suspect the novelty has rubbed off for a few people, those who just make idle chat.
      The RC web site is always busy, and the AJS & Matchles Owners has a steady flow. Many of the older members of the GRA do not use computors or choose not too. Its their loss I am afraid as forums are now an essential part of club life, particularly where you have far flung membership. This forum has closed the big gap between the UK & USA giving members like Kenny a real feeling of belonging

Comment

chat

I agree John that it helps members like me who seem to in a bit of a dead spot for Greeves i.e no local section to meet other Greeves owners.

Comment

Food for thought

Originally posted by merlin View Post
          Not a lot of chat in these forums?
          Some Greeves photos I took earlier this year during a visit home to Yorkshire. Can you spot Bill Wilkinson's bike?
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X