Front dampers and springs for 1965 Grumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front dampers and springs for 1965 Grumph

I've recently acquired a 1965 Grumph. It sits too low up front...I feel I'm sliding onto the tank. The front shocks measure about 12". I have a 250cc Ranger as well and those appear to be 13.5" at least. I want to fit longer shocks up front on the Grumph but have no idea what spring rate I'd need. I'm about 160 lbs, and it would be for casual desert riding here in California. Any idea of a good choice of dampers/springs? Thanks! ~ Dave D.
    Attached Files

Good morning Dave. An extract from a Girling catalogue back in the day states that the banana fork shocks were 13.9" extended, and a spring rate of 54lb, irrespective of whether for a scrambler or trials model. Others with more experience than me may come along with different spring rates, or even shock lengths, arrived at in the light of experience over the years. However, these are the default settings. Hope this helps.

Ian C.

Comment

Hi Dave

it looks like you already have slightly longer shocks on the rear. It might be worth trying a 14” front shock. Experimenting with spring rates/dual springs will allow you to tune up your suspension for the desert conditions. Good luck.

Phil

Comment

The rear shocks should be 11.9" The scramblers typically had a 90lb spring rate, the trials models 75lb. I am not sure if it is a good idea to lengthen the front shocks (or the rear for that matter) as it doesn't just increase the ride height, it alters the angle of the pivoting fork loop from how it was originally designed. If it were me, for light desert riding (if only!) I would go for standard length front and rear, then maybe play around with shock rates. You may find that sourcing shocks front and rear with pre-load adjustment may provide you with what you need.

Ian C.

Comment

Working...
        X