Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki DR650 engine into a 1965 Challanger frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aww, come on man! You can't butcher that little beauty! It has survived for 50-odd years like that. Doesn't it deserve to stay intact? Sell it to someone who would love it.That talk of being able to re-instate it's originality will never ever happen once the dirty deed has been done! Just use the DR650 as it is, electric start 'n all????

Comment

Did I say ANYTHING ABOUT BUTCHERING, HACKING UP OR DESTROYING this bike. NO I was asking about possibly putting in an engine with out hurting it and to be able to put it back to stock and if anyone has done an engine swap to a Challenger.

Comment

motovate, can I have the Challenger frame number to add to the survivors list please?, The club have no USA dispatch records, so it fills in a few gaps if surviving USA ones are known.

Comment

I have tried to place a Triumph T100 unit engine into a challenger frame the other day just out of curiosity. The rear gearbox mounting on the frame would need to be cut off to allow it room to locate.
          I can also tell you that the XS650 engine weighs a Ton!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            motovate, can I have the Challenger frame number to add to the survivors list please?, The club have no USA dispatch records, so it fills in a few gaps if surviving USA ones are known.
            24MX53630. I Titled it as a 1965 because the guy I bought it from thought that was the correct year - he got it out of a big collection of Greeves that were in Cargo Containers located in California.

I'm/ it is located in Northern Arizona outside of a Podunk place Called Ash Fork - 130 or so miles North of Phoenix.
            Last edited by motovate; 11/02/2020, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigduke View Post
              I have tried to place a Triumph T100 unit engine into a challenger frame the other day just out of curiosity. The rear gearbox mounting on the frame would need to be cut off to allow it room to locate.
              I can also tell you that the XS650 engine weighs a Ton!
              Thanks. XS650 is heavier then a triumph 650??? Smaller engine cradle on Challengers - probably why there aren't any "ChaGrumps" !!!

Comment

Here is one I built in 1987. It is a 1965 MX2 Challenger fitted with Triumph 500, currently owned by Mike Tizard and used in long distance trials with and without a sidecar. Yes the cradle rails were a challenge. Most things are possible.

No Greeves were harmed during the construction of this bike. A £50 rolling chassis at the '86 Beaulieu autojumble was re-purposed
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                Last edited by Phil Hyde; 11/02/2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motovate View Post

24MX53630. I Titled it as a 1965 because the guy I bought it from thought that was the correct year - he got it out of a big collection of Greeves that were in Cargo Containers located in California.

I'm/ it is located in Northern Arizona outside of a Podunk place Called Ash Fork - 130 or so miles North of Phoenix.
                  Thanks. The number is actually 24MX5B530 and year is 1967, one of 12 I have listed in USA. Not sure what the 'B' means but they also used C D E F & G
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/02/2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post

Thanks. The number is actually 24MX5B530 and year is 1967, one of 12 I have listed in USA. Not sure what the 'B' means but they also used C D E F & G
                    OK - I see the "B" now I have several photos I took and pulled them up to look - but it sure looks to me like a "6" as in 630. Here is a photo. ????
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Looks like you might have had to spread the lower frame rails to fit the engine?? What are the 2 cross pipes? Good looking bike to me. Also any idea of frame changes between the MX2 and MX5 frames???

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                      Here is one I built in 1987. It is a 1965 MX2 Challenger fitted with Triumph 500, currently owned by Mike Tizard and used in long distance trials with and without a sidecar. Yes the cradle rails were a challenge. Most things are possible.

No Greeves were harmed during the construction of this bike. A £50 rolling chassis at the '86 Beaulieu autojumble was re-purposed

Comment

Hi

Yes, the original cradle was disassembled and rearranged to accommodate the Triumph unit. The second cross tube carries the foot rests. The main difference between the MX2/3 and the later MX4/5/6 models was an increase in wheelbase created by making the top tube of the main loop longer by about 2”. This offers more space for the bigger Triumph 650 unit engine.

Comment

Interesting - thanks. LBM

Comment

Working...
                          X