Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki DR650 engine into a 1965 Challanger frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DR650 engine into a 1965 Challanger frame?

Has anyone installed a Suzuki DR650 Electric start engine into a 1965 Greeves Challenger Frame?????

Sounds quite a challenge
    Last edited by Phil Hyde; 08/02/2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Also the Challenger uses the engine as a 'stressed member' right? In which case it might affect things.

Comment

A good point Ian.

Perhaps “Motovate” will reveal his plans.
        Last edited by Phil Hyde; 10/02/2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

What is the point (unless you have a spare DR650 engine, and a Challenger rolling chassis lying about), the DR is a very capable modern off road bike as it is. A 1965 Greeves Challenger frame will never match that. Carving up a good Challenger would be sacrilege.
          Additionally if the plan is to make it into a road going trail bike then there may be problems getting it road registered with the DVLA.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/02/2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

It wouldn't necessarily be destructive to the frame. The 'why' I will happily not worry about. Maybe the chap has both items lying around and is curious!

Comment

just checking out my new pc on the forum thanks dick f

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. A little info. I'm actually in the USA - State of Arizona. I went through a process with the State DMV to get a 24MX5B Titled and partially licensed ( just needs lights, horn, mirrors too get finished). I've seen photo's of Grump's mostly Triumphs and some BSA's but I did see a Honda in one and just thought they are cool. I haven't seen any Challengers converted. Seems like all the photos I can find are not in a Challenger frame. I also have a real good DR650 and like the electric starter. Everything is all wrapped up for winter so at this time I can't put them side by side to compare for fitment - chain, sprocket engine mounts/plates etc. So I thought I sign up for the Club and see if anyone has or has seen if an electric start DR650 would be a decent fit. Plan would be to do it in a way that would not effect the frame and the Challenger could be put back to stock at some time in the future. Both Bikes are in Good shape. The Greeves was in a collection of Greeves housed in Cargo containers. Even though the Bike & engine looks near new I suspect the engine needs a complete run through. It turns over a bit hard and listening close to the cylinder it sounds like the piston is running up against sand paper as it moves up and down - probably some rust issues. So it sounds like the DR might not be the way to go . I like the XS 650 Yamaha. Engine is kind of based on Triumps. Has anyone seen or done a conversion using an electric start XS 650?????? Seems like the engine plates designed for the Triumph might work. Or any later Triumphs - 500, 650, 750 ?? I'm not looking for big engine power - more for that little push button. Getting kind of old and kick starting has lost the shine it had when I was in my 20's 30's 40's!!!!!!

Thanks!

Comment

I have to agree with JW
                  It sounds to me as if this particular Challenger needs saving. If you need electric start then it would surely make more sense to choose an electric start bike, of which there is a huge choice, modern or ‘classic’.

Comment

This Yamaha XT600 engined 24SCS monstrosity is a good example of how not to modify a Greeves.
                    The frame is from a 24SCS (61/1962) it retains the LL forks but has a completely new bespoke swinging arm, the rest of it is from bits acquired from eBay, hubs from a Honda with TLS front, engine is a four valve twin port XT600 (595cc) the tank from a Suzuki Maurauder & seat Royal Enfield.
                    The builder chose to be totally legal & re registered it with DVLA as a BMC Special (BMC is the owners initials by the way, & no parts from a BMC Allegro were used) This involved going through a lengthy & time consuming Single Vehicle Approval route hence the Q plate. The DVLA also issued a new 17 digit frame number Q897CGU XT600 engined Greeves frame number DVLASWA3971512008 so the original Greeves one is not used.
                    The special was built by an elderly guy who needed something with an electric starter to replace a Vincent Comet, which he could no longer start.. I suppose the abortion he made was in some ways similar in style to a Comet, at least no complete Greeves was used.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/02/2020, 02:05 PM. Reason: extra text added

Comment

To add my thoughts, I would go for a 250/350 Honda single. We have seen the 250 into Pathfinder and it looks and goes well.

Comment

Here's some photos- Took them awhile ago & since it's been covered up I haven't seen it in awhile. Looking at it again I don't see the engine plates I remember seeing on the Triumph Grump's and the engine does look to me to probably be a stressed member of the frame?????????? I was just hoping to find folks here who have done other then British engines or maybe the later 73-74 Triumphs that had electric starts. Also didn't want to impact this Challenger too much so It could go back to stock just by switching engines. Probably too much pie in the sky "wants". Thanks for inputs. John Wakefield - I actually like that Monster!! LBM
                        Attached Files

Comment

It would be criminal to butcher that Challenger

Comment

Yes a real shame a nice looking bike as it is

Comment

Sign of the times I am afraid, people not respecting the old vehicles in their original form, want to make them into choppers, bobbers, cruisers etc. Not only bikes but cars buses as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X