Getting a Grumph registered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Grumph registered?

Hi fellow Grumphers, I'm in the process (still) of building a Grumph from a Hawkstone frame which has never been registered for the road (obviously) and I'm now wondering how hard is it to get the finished bike registered.

I would prefer not to have a Q reg, but if I can get a dating certificate for the frame, wheels, etc and one for the engine would this allow me to get a registration document as either a Greeves 350 or a Grumph?

Any help or advise would be gratefully received.

Cheers Steve.

Get a dating cert for the frame (assuming it has a koshure Greeves frame number) and get it registered as a Greeves with 350cc engine. DO NOT ATTEMPTED to register it as any other make ie Grumph, Tri Greeves etc. etc as DVSA will not recognise the make, and will then require a single vehicle approval a Q plate and all the hassle that goes with that

Comment

Thanks John - Do I have to have the bike assembled completely to start the ball rolling?

Comment

Yes you will have to have it assembled and up to MoT standard, and possibly an MoT cert done using frame number. Colin Sparrow can advise, but he is recuperating after an operation in hospital so may be a few weeks but presume it will be some time before you get bike built up.

Comment

You do not need an MOT as it will be except due to the 40 year rule, however it must be complete - as stated.

Comment

I have in the past been able to help a couple of members obtain age-related numbers and historic registration for Triumph Greeves. If GRA is supporting them they do need to be registered as Greeves and have predominantly Greeves components. The engine needs to be contemporary with the bike. Triumph engine numbers are reasonably straightforward for determining age.

More modern engines require the V627/1 "Reconstructed Classic Vehicle! procedure" and will receive a number based on the most recent major component or possibly even a "Q".

DVLA will want to see receipts for all your components. - to prove they're not stolen.

This is a tricky procedure and there is no guarantee of the outcome as it is subject to the opinions and decisions of the DVLA officer dealing with the case.

My advice would be to obtain an engine made in the same year as the bike and keep the cycle parts all Greeves and original to the model. Also to get hold of a copy of V627and any advice from DVLA and read it carefully. You are looking at a bit of a minefield here.

Please make contact with me before staring any negotiations with DVLA.

PS for all my mates out there, I am indeed back home following major heart surgery. Shan't be fully recovered until the New Year, but I'll keep the authentications going, have no fear.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Not wishing to hi-jack this thread, but it is good to hear you are back home and on the mend Colin!

Ian

Comment

Good you are on the mend Colin. My registration came through at last yesterday. The first rejection was because I had not included a shipping document, something I have never done before as the NOVA is proof that it has been re imported.

Comment

One other way would be to fit a Villiers engine 32A 34S or 9E and then get it registered as a 250cc or 197cc Greeves. Then after you have obtained a V5c notify the DVLA of an engine change to 350 or 500cc depending upon the engine fitted. DVLA will then just put it through as an engine change. Should they then refute it for some reason you will still have a registered bike which will have some value should you then decide to sell it on.
                  Colin says use a Triumph engine of same year as bike, but of course an earlier one would be OK and I don't suppose one a few years later from the 1960's would be a problem as most Tri Greeves would have been converted some time after they were new. It would still be in the period.

Comment

I really meant that it is helpful if the Triumph engine is reasonably contemporary with the Greeves cycle parts. I was referring to past authentication applications where I was presented with a fait-accompli fully constructed Tri-Greeves.

Thanks John. Owners often seem to come up with their own "clever" ways of making the job more difficult that it needs to be...
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                      I have in the past been able to help a couple of members obtain age-related numbers and historic registration for Triumph Greeves. If GRA is supporting them they do need to be registered as Greeves and have predominantly Greeves components. The engine needs to be contemporary with the bike. Triumph engine numbers are reasonably straightforward for determining age.

More modern engines require the V627/1 "Reconstructed Classic Vehicle! procedure" and will receive a number based on the most recent major component or possibly even a "Q".

DVLA will want to see receipts for all your components. - to prove they're not stolen.

This is a tricky procedure and there is no guarantee of the outcome as it is subject to the opinions and decisions of the DVLA officer dealing with the case.

My advice would be to obtain an engine made in the same year as the bike and keep the cycle parts all Greeves and original to the model. Also to get hold of a copy of V627and any advice from DVLA and read it carefully. You are looking at a bit of a minefield here.

Please make contact with me before staring any negotiations with DVLA.

PS for all my mates out there, I am indeed back home following major heart surgery. Shan't be fully recovered until the New Year, but I'll keep the authentications going, have no fear.
                      Thanks Colin - Glad to hear you are on the mend. I already had an engine (or rather various engines) that I have rebuilt so have not got a receipt. I've probably got a receipt for the frame though.

Cheers Steve.

Comment

Hi folks, Where does one get a dating certificate for a frame?? - got a 1958 Hawkstone.
                        Thanks, D

Comment

If you PM me the frame number, I'll tell you what informally what the dispatch record says about it.

We only provide actual authentication certificates for complete bikes
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks Colin. PM sent.
                            D

Comment

DVLA have now tightened its rules & will no longer issue age related numbers now for bikes that have been rebuilt with Truimph, BSA, Yamaha or whatever engines. So if you a planning a new build TriGreeves or Grebsa and you want it road registered you will have to have a Q plate and then pay for road tax, there may also be issues getting it insured. Best to buy an existing one already with a V5c. Be warned...

Comment

Working...
                              X