Scotland tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland tour

Just off for a few days touring around the highlands. Starting point Boat of Garten then following the NW 500 route or wherever takes my fancy. Tent is packed so I am hoping for dry weather, if not I will find accommodation and some red wine.

The Grumph has been fettled, not cleaned, a step too far - and ready for a few days admiring the views.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	76789

No doubt the bike will get a few admiring views and comments. Looking good Tony, have a great time.

Comment

Are you riding all the way up to Boat of Garton, or vanning it to there

Comment

Taking it in the van with a load of stuff for my sister in law.

Comment

Sounds great Tony. You will enjoy that. I have ridden that area several times myself, on Norton, Matchless & Benelli, but not on a Greeves. The Grumph will have the extra legs over a Villiers single!

You may meet with some interesting weather though; and watch out for the midges!
          Last edited by IanCordes; 01/08/2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Not quite to plan. Started off by stopping off at Roy Bridge to walk Stob Coire Sgriodain one of the Munro's. My brother was celebrating as this was the last one to complete - twice . It was sunny on the way up and wet on the way down- I got soaked.

Next stop was Boat of Garten where I unloaded the Grumph. I rode to Ullapool however as time was short I returned to Boat of Garten and have been riding some quite roads in the Cairngorms. To be honest the traffic at Ullapool was very heavy with packs of motorbike, camper vans and caravans, so not enjoyable.
            The roads near Tulloch Moor and Loch Garten are very quite and you can really enjoy a slow ride down single track roads.

The Grumph has been very reliable, couple of issues, the main one being the side stand is bending so I need a thicker or solid tube. The right Lucas indicator keeps wobbling loose.
            As usual passed by the massive 1200 GS's and othe monster bikes all doing 50 mph, over kill for slow roads - take the slow bike and the slow road.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

I have stayed at Roy Bridge, in company with about 25 Benelli riders, a few years ago, and another time at Rogart, near Lairg, in the north. We were mostly on the 900cc Tornado Tre's, but our rides took us west and north of there, rather than more central, as you have gone, Tony. It is all stunning, which ever direction you go in.

I imagine the route to Ullapool was pretty busy at this time of year. That NW500 has become a bit of a route for the masses, and best avoided, when, as you say, there are so many other amazing, and quiet roads to ride.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	76875Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	76877Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	76878Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	76879 Best one today Ian, I Managed to ride the right of way to Loch Morlich.
                Once through the gate the gravel track turned rocky and slippery? The rear wheel spinning out sideways looking for grip then suddenly jumping forward as it got firm ground. I have to say there is no way I could have got a big bike up as leg assistance was needed several times. Unfortunately no photos as I needed both hands as I could not afford to loose momentum. I had better put a head cam on the birthday list.
                After the rough start the track becomes a forestry track.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                Last edited by tony; 04/08/2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X