Grumph oil tank size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumph oil tank size

Hi, will be fitting a Triumph 500 engine into a 20 SA frame.........is a Triumph cub oil tank deemed large enough i.e. enough oil in circulation? I previously ran a T100SS and the oil used to get absolutely roasting and that was 5 pints! Reckoned that ,even with as low compression pistons as I can get , the bike will be revving a lot in low gears i.e. lots of heat.

What's the consensus?

thanks

GRUMPH Oil Tank.

Hi......The Cub tank is a popular choice given it's size and appearance in a similar sized frame to its origin. I've also seen C.15 tanks used. One 'Grumph' I looked at, but didn't buy, had replaced the swinging arm to seat strut with a square box assy with oil inlet & outlet on it. This could only have held about a pint & a half, but worked well.
    If you go for the Cub option, why not include an in line filter? a bit more capacity and extra cooling. If Temperature is a worry, then a small cooler mounted somewhere out of sight?
    Oil temperature is a worry, but our Workshop in the Dark Ages was sponsored/supplied by Castrol. We had several talks by their reps & experts on oils. Some oils work better at near boiling point! My present Honda runs very hot, yet has run like this since it left the Showroom in 1971.

I'm sure a GRUMPH owner will come up with the facts soon.
    Peter.

Comment

Triumph Greeves Oil Tanks

To follow on from Peter Rotherham's thoughts. There were 3 distinctly different Tiger Cub oil tanks made. All of the sizes are more than suitable for the C range (350/500 cc) engine. The best choice in my experience is the Bantam or Super Cub tank. This has the greatest capacity. and has the benefit of a greater gauze filter.

Recommended choice of oil is a straight SAE30. Multigrades are fine but weren't around when the engine was originally designed (1937/8)

Hope this is of use

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
        The best choice in my experience is the Bantam or Super Cub tank.
        Oil tank on a Bantam? Now there's a novelty!
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Its the Bantam Cub, Triumph used the Bantam frame for the Triumph Cub engine

Comment

I know, I'm only jossing...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
            X