Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres

Good morning.
    I was just wondering what type of Trials type tyres members are using on Road registered Bikes.
    Putting my Scottish on the road and I think the IRC Comp ones fitted are far to soft, and maybe stamped, 'Not for Highway Use' ?
    Thanks.

whitehillbilly

The “Not for Highway Use” marking is typically to satisfy USA regulations. As you say an IRC on the tarmac will not last too long, even if you turned it a couple of times before putting in the bin.
    I have an IRC on my trialler which works well in the British mud. Years ago the Michelin MT43 was a good trials tyre. A slightly harder compound gave a longer life on the tarmac. What is available in Aus?

Comment

I've tried IRC and Michelin on road going pre 65 trials bikes and XT225 Serow, (taken off comp bikes when the sharp edges have rounded too much) very soft, give 'loose' handling and wear very quickly. Best for me was the good old Pirelli MT43, works well for Long Distance Trials too. IRC still best purely for (pre 65) trials though, in my opinion!
      Cheers,,,,,,,Jeff

Comment

I use Pirellis on my road going 62 model (TD) Scottish. Although an MOT is no longer required it would have been failed if I had a "Not for Highway" tyre fitted.
        Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

I have Continental TKC80 tyres on all my road going bikes. They are good on the rough stuff and handle well on tarmac in the wet. They can wear on heavy bikes with a lot of weight and power such as KTM 990 but not an issue on a Greeves.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
            Pirelli MT43's are available in Aus.
            I am going to put it on Historic Plates. 17quid a year for Insurance and Tax. 60days Use personally, then what ever club runs are on.
            Something for occasional use.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Working...
            X