Scottish 24 TE chaincase oil quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish 24 TE chaincase oil quantity

Hi, hopefully this is a quick question if someone knows the answer.

How much oil should go in the chaincase of a 32A engine?

Please don’t tell me to fill the chaincase until oil dribbles from the level plug hole. That won’t work on my bike because the level and drain plugs are the same height. The engine appears to be tilted forward and I suspect the inner chaincase isn’t original because 1) the level plug position, and 3) the tubular piece of the inner chaincase casing from which the stud emerges is mostly broken away, whether deliberately or not, to accommodate the sprocket. So something’s not as designed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE108351-45FD-4A2D-B6C4-14B65B041EA0.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	88326

Name:	CF560940-1E75-423F-8042-1A6407EED2BD.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	88328

Jon
    Attached Files

I just put a cable tie through the filler hole and have about 1inch of oil showing on bottom of tie, may be wrong but works okay for me.

Comment

Thanks John, I have a similar plan - I've cut a length of wire coat hanger and was going to mark and use that once I had an accurate 'baseline' quantity.

My, there are a lot of Johns in this club

Comment

I filled and drained once. Might have been 0.4 ltr. Not as much As I imagined.
        Have it written down somewhere. Will have a look.
        I use ATF.
        Fill plug can be seen between Barrel and carby.
        Your level plug looks slightly higher than drain.
        Will have a look at mine tomorrow.
        If the clutch bearing rollers fail it will wear that part.

whitehillbilly
        Attached Files
        Last edited by whitehillbillies; 02/07/2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon K View Post
          Hi, hopefully this is a quick question if someone knows the answer.

How much oil should go in the chaincase of a 32A engine?

Please don’t tell me to fill the chaincase until oil dribbles from the level plug hole. That won’t work on my bike because the level and drain plugs are the same height. The engine appears to be tilted forward and I suspect the inner chaincase isn’t original because 1) the level plug position, and 3) the tubular piece of the inner chaincase casing from which the stud emerges is mostly broken away, whether deliberately or not, to accommodate the sprocket. So something’s not as designed.

Name:	FE108351-45FD-4A2D-B6C4-14B65B041EA0.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	88326

Name:	CF560940-1E75-423F-8042-1A6407EED2BD.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	88328

Jon
          The level plug screws into the forward threaded hole under the engine sprocket, and the drain plug under the clutch sprocket, Threads look OK in pic

Comment

The threads are fine John, and I know which screw goes in which hole although actually both screws I have are identical.

It's all back together now, with a new gasket and new fibre washers. I can't say I've got much faith that the flimsy, ill-fitting gasket is going to do its job, but we'll see.

What I need to know is how much oil to put in, because as you can see in the first picture there's almost no difference in the height of the two plugs, rendering the level plug little more than a second drain. Opinions so far are:
            • 1 inch on a makeshift dipstick;
            • 125ml; and
            • 400ml
            Any further bids?

I'm going to use Castrol Classic TQF by the way, on the advice of a valued friend. (Cheers JR)

Jon

Comment

Just posting this picture so you can see how tilted forward my engine is, so therefore presumably why the level plug is, well level really with the drain. And partly to prove I'm not totally losing it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilted engine.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	88341
              Jon
              Attached Files

Comment

Built that way, Jon, presumably to throw weight forward ................ ?

Best be quick in calibrating that dipstick, by the way. Level is unlikely to stay constant for long!

Last edited by johnrunnacles; 02/07/2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I haven't put the oil in yet

Comment

Originally posted by Jon K View Post
                    The threads are fine John, and I know which screw goes in which hole although actually both screws I have are identical.

It's all back together now, with a new gasket and new fibre washers. I can't say I've got much faith that the flimsy, ill-fitting gasket is going to do its job, but we'll see.

What I need to know is how much oil to put in, because as you can see in the first picture there's almost no difference in the height of the two plugs, rendering the level plug little more than a second drain. Opinions so far are:
                    • 1 inch on a makeshift dipstick;
                    • 125ml; and
                    • 400ml
                    Any further bids?

I'm going to use Castrol Classic TQF by the way, on the advice of a valued friend. (Cheers JR)

Jon
                    I think you have missed the point, yes the threads and screws are identical but the front hole is at a higher level than the one under clutch, so that one is the level plug.The one under clutch is the drain plug. So you just fill until oil dribbles from front hole thus leaving the required amount in chaincase.

Comment

If using automatic transmission fluid ensure it is the type that DOESNT contain PTFE as it harms the clutch action.
                      Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Thanks Ian, will do.

Comment

In case anyone’s interested, 1 inch amounted to 150ml. I’ll go with that.

Thanks chaps.

Jon
                          Last edited by Jon K; 14/07/2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

This has been discussed before. I would read the whole of this thread: https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...-and-chaincase

Previously I have used a cable tie to measure and settled on about 2cm depth. My bike doesn't seem to have a drain plug for the primary.

Comment

I seal my cases with neutral cure translucent roof and gutter silicone.
                              I let it set overnight before filling. No leaks.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Working...
                              X