Lockdown lunacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockdown lunacy?

As my bike has the exhaust on the left, the usual clutch cable route is down the beam, under the exhaust and onto the gearbox. I've had a couple of issues with it snagging on rocks and trees but worst of all as I turn from lock to lock the effect is to operate the clutch more. The last trial I did this convinced me I had lost traction but in fact it was clutch slip. A friend of mine has a bike with various nylon wheels which route the clutch better, but I figured the main one was near the gearbox. The original plan was to extend the gearbox std and run the wheel on that, but I decided it would foul the engine plates, I will have another look when the in progress lightweight engine goes in
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Don't some have an extended nearside rear cylinder head bolt, to which one attaches a wire loop through which the cable passes? That keeps the cable out of the way. That would be on an iron barrelled model. I don't know if a similar arrangement would work with an ali motor.

Ian C.

Comment

That would have only cured one of my problems, the issue of the change in clutch adjustment when on full lock was what persuaded me to try something else

Comment

Good morning.
        My exhaust runs on the left. No issues with the clutch cable snagging or when on full lock, when riding Trials here in Aus.
        I added a spring to the cable where it touches the exhaust. Also the longer clutch arm fitted.
        If you make the pics bigger you can see the clutch run
        Can take more close up pics if it helps.

whitehillbilly
        Attached Files
        Last edited by whitehillbillies; 08/04/2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

You look to have a similar cable set up to mine (sorry bad photo but best I've got) I ended up cutting off the top of the casing where the cable would usually fit. Do you ride midland classic trials teamferret I recognize the bottom of a kiehin carb if I'm right I was talking to you at berrycliff last year
          Attached Files

Comment

Try fitting a longer cable with no tight bends.

Comment

Liam, yes we did chat at Berrycliffe. I had a tough day as I got wter in the fake OKO carb and it would not run above 1/4 throttle, try doing the hill section like that. I'm out tomorrow at the Midland Classic Trial at Clifton. Leaving shortly to finish the sections.

Peter I used to have a longer cable and the clutch effect was actually worse. You must remember Liam and I have teles and more lock than the average canal. We also spend a lot of time 'on the clutch' whilst riding, more successfully so in Liam's case

Comment

Was thinking of doing Clifton but opted for a more local trials. My wheel is fixed to the rear gearbox mount I haven't had a problem with the clutch being operated on full lock and I seem to have good clutch action. Next time we are at the same trial you will have to try it and see what you think

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210420_215338_9.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	87171
                  Had the exhaust off mine last night so though a better picture of my clutch setup was in order.

Comment

Cheers, very similar to mine. It worked well at the Clifton trial, unfiortunately the head gasket blew so made hard work of the day

Comment

Oh bugger hope you can sort it before the Rhodesia trial. What head gasket do you run as I didn't think the challenge barrels used head gaskets?

Comment

I don't know where the head came from, I think my Dad got it at an autojumble, but the gasket area has been reduced presumably to increase air flow in that area. With opening the bore out to 71mm it ddn't leave much gasket face so I fitted an aluminium gasket to get the compression down too. The new one was made from 6mm ali first I made a polo ring then counterbored the top and let the head in. Been for 2 short rides and it seems ok.
                        On another note, we nearly became neighbours as a few years ago I looked at a place just up from you near to Flash stores

Going to Rhodesia this Sunday to sort some sections, my brother and some others are taking their caravans and tents for the Trial weekend

Comment

Working...
                        X