Scottish petrol tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish petrol tanks

Hi folks, does anyone know the gauge thickness used on Scottish alloy tanks please. The strengthening piece at the front where the tank is bolted to the frame looks about 12 ish. Can't measure it accurately.

Thanks.

Clive

The Scottish up to TES had a steel tank

Comment

Clive

i have an alloy tank on my Triumph Greeves and will check tomorrow. It’s -3 c in the shed so tomorrow it is

Comment

Clive

measured the gauge of the tunnel section on the tank. So, 0.090” (2.3mm) 11/12 gauge.

hope this helps

regards

Phil

Comment

Thanks chaps so far, I believe the TE and TES could be had with an alloy tank as an option. I guess that is what happened with mine or someone changed it over the last 60 years ! I'll see if I can get an accurate figure from the tunnel Phil. Thanks everyone.

Comment

TE & TES had alloy tanks as standard, only the US spec 'trail' version had the steel tank
            Attached Files

Comment

Not so, John. The TE had a steel tank, the TES had an alloy tank as standard. In fact, the very first TES had a steel tank, although that quickly changed. The TES in your picture has an alloy one. One could specify an alloy tank on a TE if required. The original TE steel tank was dull chrome, fitted with 'Scottish' alloy badges. Later on, around the time the TFS was coming on stream, the TE tank was stove-enamelled silver, no badges.

Ian C.

Comment

Working...
              X