X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£185 https://www.greevesmotorcyclesltd.com/exhausts.html

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      It depends upon what you want to use the bike for, if total off road trials, then as John P says a re packed Palmer silencer would be OK, but this type of silencer will always be minimal, if you are going to ride the bike predominantly on the road you may care to fit the older 'Scottish' style Villiers based system with baffles. Although it was not fitted to the TES its much quieter. Armours do these in both long and short versions, the long one (as in pic) would be the quietest.
      hi,my intended use it is for local green laning and pleasure,i use an xr250 atm but as i wrote earlier,i had a Greeves when a teenager and have fond memories, after looking at some pics,as in the auction catalogues and on here i think mine could do with a bit of care and attention and a new lease of life.
      would the long system in your pic fit my frame?,if so i will order one asap.
      i emailed greeves mc ltd and even though it says £185 on their site the chap returned my email extremely quickly but unfortunately they havent made any yet but when they do it will be about £430,i would have bought one at £185 if available.i want to get the parts together in readiness before commencing any refurbishment ,hence all these questions,
      thanks again for your replies to a novice
      martin,
      excuse me if my bike has hijacked the thread

Comment

The Villiers system should fit but will need different brackets and maybe a bit of tweaking to front pipe to miss the frame tube on the TE, not a big job if you have some engineering & welding skills. The main thing it will fit the iron 9E barrel. Greeves did actually use this system on the USA spec Ranger with a flange mounting exhaust pipe for the Challenger type barrel.I believe Armours will supply unplated then take it back for plating after you have made any mods. Ideally you need a Ranger front pipe, but I dont know anyone who is making them, they maybe available from the USA, Kenny Sykes 'Bearingman' may have some. But the flange for Challenger barrel would need modding for the 9E screw type fixing, so probably best to modify the Armours system.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/01/2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          If only.... That was listed a long time ago. More recent discussions; in the last 2 years or so; reveal that the particular source dried up years ago. Talks were ongoing about a new supplier, with prices mooted at £400+; plus vat. So far, nothing has materialised.

Don't hold yer breath!

Ian C.

Comment

I am not sure that the earlier TA-TC system could be easily made to fit the TE frame. These pictures; one of a TCS and one of a Ranger; show a substantial difference in the shape of the pipe where it crosses from nearside to offside. It may be possible to make it from an unplated Armours one, but a fair bit of cut 'n shut and welding required. If the Ranger type requires a longer pipe for its more convoluted route then maybe it wouldn't work? The Ranger looks to use the shorter silencer, too.

For no money, Martin, why not play about with your original system and the stingers that came with it?

Ian C, Click image for larger version  Name:	GFB 60 5. (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	85658Click image for larger version  Name:	Ranger offside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	85659
            Last edited by IanCordes; 03/01/2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

You are correct about the Ranger being shorter and needing a fair bit of cutting Ian. The top one is the Ranger silencer I bought at Greeves day 2 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2339.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	85662

You could use a Griffon Enduro silencer, here is a photo of one on my Orange Ranger on the the near side

Name:	IMG_1681.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	85664

Any exhaust pipe configuration could then be used.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                I am not sure that the earlier TA-TC system could be easily made to fit the TE frame. These pictures; one of a TCS and one of a Ranger; show a substantial difference in the shape of the pipe where it crosses from nearside to offside. It may be possible to make it from an unplated Armours one, but a fair bit of cut 'n shut and welding required. If the Ranger type requires a longer pipe for its more convoluted route then maybe it wouldn't work? The Ranger looks to use the shorter silencer, too.

For no money, Martin, why not play about with your original system and the stingers that came with it?

Ian C, Click image for larger version Name:	GFB 60 5. (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	85658Click image for larger version Name:	Ranger offside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	85659
                As Ian says may be worth sorting out the current system, cut open existing silencer and re pack it with glass fibre wool (loft insulation) if it is that type of construction. then if still a bit noisy fit an auxiliary silencer (stinger) to tail pipe, if you are going to use it on green lanes then then getting the noise down to an acceptable level is important. As the 9E is not a highly tuned engine it should not effect performance too much.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/01/2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

My set up. Exhaust box is Alloy, repackable and made local. Stinger quieten's it more for local Trials.
                  Was road registered for many years, here in Australia.
                  Front pipe came with Bike when I got it.

whitehillbilly
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is the one I made from scratch for my bike, works a treat! Peter. Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180904_13_59_49_Pro.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	85680

Comment

The one you have shown were original on the TFS Trail - I had this one made in stainless, not quite the same however close.

Name:	IMG_2887 (1).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	85682

This is my other original one

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	497.8 KB
ID:	85683

Comment

thanks for the pics,close enough for me to copy,if i can get mine looking something like yours i will be a happy man,
                        atb

Comment

Now back in the UK

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2634.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	87084

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2633.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	87085

Comment

A quick clean of the points and fresh fuel -- surprising how many of these American bikes start after a little fettling.

Last edited by tony; 14/04/2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

20 TE101 is owned my a friend of mine, and it is going to remain as it is, it only has patina and age once

Comment

Working...
                              X