Villiers 9E Sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 9E Sprockets

I have tried to gear my 1958 SAS with a 4 speed gearbox for trials use. The primary sprocket is 20t; the gearbox one is 15t the rear one is 65t. What would be a better compromise for trials plus some road use? Also would a 250 top end be worth fitting?

Tritonmike

Triton Mike. You say you want to have a compromise of top gear ratio for trials & road. What sort of trials do you intend to do? Twin shock/pre 65 events which are usually on private land with no road work, or the longer distance events like the Lands End or Exeter trials. Problem is for today's sections, even on the original gear ratios that were fitted, will probably not be low enough for todays twin shock/pre 65 type events, but would be more suitable for the longer distance type events. Back in the day the sections were more open, today's sections are much tighter and require lower gearing. A larger capacity 250cc top end will definitely help, the 197 9E was always under powered. There is also the issue of gear ratios here, if the original 20SAS gear ratios are still fitted it will have close ratio gear cluster, for trials you need wide ratios.

Comment

It is for a few miles on the road and then to have some off road fun. Not serious trials. I did wonder about the four gears. First is probably no more than 10 mph then a jump to second with third and fourth all being very close.

Comment

Looks like it has the trials ratio's there was a lower 2nd gear available as an option which was useful in the trials sections.

Comment

Working...
        X