Trials engine cradle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials engine cradle

Though i would see what people though. This is the new engine cradle i made over lockdown for my bike. A little bit more ground clearance, abit stronger and i can bolt a bash plate to it. If i made another would anyone know what aluminium grade to use or if it would be a good idea to use alloy?
    Attached Files

7075 aluminium is classed as a high strength aerospace aluminium product where strength is critical and where good corrosion resistance is not a factor.

Comment

6082 T6 would be my recommendation. A good all rounder.

Comment

Thanks for both of you for replying. I will see about trying to source either. Is 6082 t6 what you use for your triumph engine plates phil?

Comment

Hi Liam

Yes. 6082 is my preferred material in both plate and round bar form. It machines and welds well. Plate will take modest bends or sets given the right tooling.
          There are other aluminium alloys with similar or greater specs.

good luck with your project.

Phil

Comment

Hi Liam,

I'd be interested in a set of plates like that if you're considering making a batch. I have a TFS, not sure about compatibility across various frames. Kind regards, Ian.

Comment

looking great. Top Job.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Unfortunately Ian my plates are for an mds so wouldn't fit your bike. Would there be a massive difference in weight if made in alloy as im guessing they would have to be thicker?

Comment

Here's my n cradle which I made just before lockdown and have now done 3 trials with including last Sunday. As well as slimming it down a bit to gain ground clearence I also lifted the engine 3/4 of an inch up and moved it back the same. I used some 1/8 alloy I got from the local scrap yard which seems harder than most. I also repositioned the engine almost 1/8 of an inch left in order to give a little more clearence on the tyre. Surprisingly it seems to handle better even though obviously the centre of gravity is now higher.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Robinson View Post
                    Unfortunately Ian my plates are for an mds so wouldn't fit your bike. Would there be a massive difference in weight if made in alloy as im guessing they would have to be thicker?
                    That's a very good question. I guess you'd have to weight the steel and alloy versions to be sure. Would it be worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by teamferret View Post
                      Here's my n cradle which I made just before lockdown and have now done 3 trials with including last Sunday. As well as slimming it down a bit to gain ground clearence I also lifted the engine 3/4 of an inch up and moved it back the same. I used some 1/8 alloy I got from the local scrap yard which seems harder than most. I also repositioned the engine almost 1/8 of an inch left in order to give a little more clearence on the tyre. Surprisingly it seems to handle better even though obviously the centre of gravity is now higher.
                      This isn't the first I've seen with the engine moved back. What's the advantage? Cheers, Ian.

Comment

That's interesting, because the factory twice moved the engine forwards; once with the introduction of the TD frame, and again with the TE. To my knowledge they never moved it back again, so at the time, the balance of the TE/S and TFS set-up must have been considered to be about right. When I was trialling my TE 20'odd years ago, I thought it was a bit heavy on the front end; but then, I was no expert! So, why did teamferret move the engine back?

Ian C.

Comment

I moved the engine back for a few reasons. i feel the front end is still a bit heavy despite having fitted teles and a light-weight front wheel. It could also do with some more grip and to move the final drive sprocket closer to the swinging arm.

Comment

Aside from re-distribution of weight by shifting the engine mass there has been a significant change of footrest position in the pre-65 trials world. The conservative one size fits all positioning has given over to a much higher and rearward stance.

Comment

Also the type of section has changed they were looking for a more flat stable bike now it has to be lighter at the front to throw the bike round tighter sections with rock steps

Comment

Working...
                              X