Information on my Scottish engine number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on my Scottish engine number

I am after some advice please. I have a 1960 Greeves Scottish 24TCS, Frame number 60/1467. I inherited this bike from my dad in 2014, He bought it from Surrey Cycles in 1991 (I still have the receipt) and have just got it running again. I have noticed that the engine number plate on the 32A engine case is missing (but the rivets are still there). I have seen that Villiers service sell the blank engine number plates, which I would like to replace.

The V5C lists the engine number as 1363S/592. I have copies of all the V5's back to 1987 and they list the same engine number. Would this be correct? and would I be doing anything illegal or improper by putting in a plate with that number on the engine?

Thanks, Andy

Attached Files

Andy I think the number is actually 863B592 (maybe someone with Dispatch records can confirm) That would fit in with other bikes I have on survivors records. So looks like DVLA misinterpreted poor had writing from old log book ie 8 as 13 and B as an S. Do not put the incorrect number plate on it. Engine numbers are unimportant as far as DVLA are concerned, so you could just leave it as it is. If you do get confirmation that 863B592 is the correct number then go ahead and get a new plate, and than advise DVLA that engine number is incorrect and they will change it on V5c.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Andy I think the number is actually 863B592 (maybe someone with Dispatch records can confirm) That would fit in with other bikes I have on survivors records. So looks like DVLA misinterpreted poor had writing from old log book ie 8 as 13 and B as an S. Do not put the incorrect number plate on it. Engine numbers are unimportant as far as DVLA are concerned, so you could just leave it as it is. If you do get confirmation that 863B592 is the correct number then go ahead and get a new plate, and than advise DVLA that engine number is incorrect and they will change it on V5c.
      Thank you very much for your help John, That makes sense, I have this bit of info on Villiers engine numbers from cybermotorcycles.com which now fits perfectly "863B 32A 4 Speed Greeves 24TCS, TD, TE 1960-1962". I definitely don't want to put the wrong number on, so will try to confirm the original number. Thanks again, Andy

Comment

From the factory record - 24TCS with the frame number 60/1467 left the factory with a 32A engine number 863B 592, so John is spot on.

It is completely in order to put a replacement plate on showing that number. Then write to DVLA if you want the V5C brought into line. If you need a backup letter from the club for that I can provide one.

Villiers Services can supply a replica engine ID plate. You will need to tell them that you want it for a 32A. They will stamp on the correct number if you ask them. They can also supply the four rivets with which to attach it.

Incidentally, the old rivets can be removed by turning them carefully anti-clockwise with pliers or similar. The new ones just gently tap in.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          From the factory record - 24TCS with the frame number 60/1467 left the factory with a 32A engine number 863B 592, so John is spot on.

It is completely in order to put a replacement plate on showing that number. Then write to DVLA if you want the V5C brought into line. If you need a backup letter from the club for that I can provide one.

Villiers Services can supply a replica engine ID plate. You will need to tell them that you want it for a 32A. They will stamp on the correct number if you ask them. They can also supply the four rivets with which to attach it.

Incidentally, the old rivets can be removed by turning them carefully anti-clockwise with pliers or similar. The new ones just gently tap in.
          Thank you very much for this information so quickly. I will ask Villiers Service if they would put the numbers 863B 592 on a 32A plate, and I'll get the new rivets too. I will also change the engine number on the V5C and send it off to DVLA, If there is any issue, I will contact you about your kind offer of a backup letter.

It will be great to have it all correctly numbered, and I am delighted that it is the original 32A engine, so its still mostly all original. If it is not already added to the survivors record, I'd like to have it added, please ask if anymore information is required.

Best wishes, Andy

Comment

Has been added Andy, thanks for giving the number.

Comment

Thanks to the help on this forum and the excellent service (again) from Villiers Services, the proper engine number plate. V5C has gone to DVLA too.
              Attached Files

Comment

For sale on eBay 6/21 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144062049...kAAOSwPtNgt-U1 asking £3700
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X