No announcement yet.

How not to ride your Greeves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we all knew what was about to happen as soon as the pond appeared. His missus loved it, didn't she?
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

He will need to strip the engine down as its likely that the ingress of water has caused a hydraulic lock on the engine and damaged the big end & possibly main bearings. In any case all traces of water and dirt that will have been sucked in will need to be cleaned and all bearings inspected. Looks like this could have been an expensive incident. I had a similar incident with a Bultaco many years ago, made a horrible noise afterwards and found big end rollers had damaged the crank pin, had to replace that as well as main bearings and oils seals at same time.

Comment

I did the same with an old James I had. Found the big hole in a creek section. After other riders assisted dragging it out I,
        Dropped the sump plug on the 6E motor. drained the carby, Removed the air cleaner and flicked it a few times. kicked it over a dozen times
        Refitted everything, dried plug and refitted, and it fired up a few kicks later, with others around shaking heads and I finished the day.
        Rode without rebuilding, for many seasons.

Comment

"No worries mate" - that's the attitude!
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Did that on a modern trials bike, blew the cylinder off. A total rebuild with a lot of new of parts, not sure it was worth the expense, but kept riding it for many years afterwards. No manual just an exploded diagram, in Italian, showing the bits, an interesting rebuild. Never happened with the Greeves.
            John

Comment

Working...
            X