Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gordon Farleys Works Anglian WWC170F where is it now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Farleys Works Anglian WWC170F where is it now?

Gordon Farley's works Anglain 24TJS103 (WWC170F) was sold in Cheffins auction at the disposal sale of the late Dave Scotney's collection on 19/102013 https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/aucti...IbUmMkzGuK44CE
    According to the DVLA its now on SORN. Owner unknown, where is it now?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
    Gordon Farley's works Anglain 24TJS103 (WWC170F)…..
    May I ask, John, what is your reason for wanting to know where this particular 'Anglain' is now?

Just asking....

Brian.

Comment

Just general interest really, it would be nice to know whats happened to these works bikes, would be nice to know if its with a GRA member being lovingly looked after rather than stuck in a shed somewhere with a 'investor' This bike was as mentioned in the Cheffins blub owned by Dave Scotney, Dave was a GRA member who worked for Lola Cars at Huntingdon, & occasionally came to the Cambridge section meetings. He had a small collection of Greeves including a 24TCS fitted with a 125 Puch engine (OVE2M) frame No. 60/1748, which was also sold in the same sale for £720 (Lot 1336). A 24TAS Scottish (WSU286) Frame No 59/1584 sold for £2550 (Lot No 1335) and a 24SAS Hawkstone frame No 59/1708 sold for £1900 (Lot No 1334) Descriptions can be seen by paging back through the catalogue. The only bike out of these that has been traced so far is the 24TAS (WSU286) with a GRA member in North Norfolk.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/05/2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Yes, I knew Dave....he gave the committee members serving at the time a guided tour of Lola Cars one Sunday when it was quiet. It was an unforgettable day that I'm sure those of us present will always remember. We saw some truly amazing things and it was a real privilege, all done as a gesture of gratitude for all of our efforts for the club. I was sad when I heard he'd passed away, a real gent and a true enthusiast with some incredible stories to tell from his days with the company, especially the race department.

Regarding the bike, I'm sure the current owner will be doing with it as they see fit, whatever that may be. It's no one's business but theirs really, after all.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian
          Very well put there is far too much of that on here,and FB and OBM, the club should not condone it or allow it, could even be illegal under data protection and the club could get dragged into it.

Comment

Is there too much of it though?

I'm always interested to hear what's become of the machines with some history behind them, and it's a shame when they're behind closed doors and never seen. You only have to read the magazines (works Anglians featured in recent Classic Trial and Classic Bike), our own Leading Link magazines, and then visit shows where the bikes are sometimes on display (as, in fact, WWC 170F has been). And anyone who was at the SSDT last year will know who owns sister machine WWC 169F!

If it's about frame/engine numbers being out there with the risk of cloning... probably a non-issue. Firstly this information can be found through the aforementioned channels, and secondly if you knew that a bike existed already and was well known, would you then make a copy? Also in some cases original log books exist. Probably not.

Theft? You'd be stealing something that's unique, could not ever be displayed, that you couldn't tell anyone about and of course could never sell. It would be a really strange thing to do.

For my part, I'm sure on occasion I've either posted somewhere or asked a GRA member 'any idea what happened to X bike?', perhaps about some ISDT or works trials bikes. In fact only recently I was asking on here if any of the works MX1/2 machines survive. All those amazing pictures of Bickers and co in 1964/5, the development banana forks. It's tantalising to consider what may still be tucked away, because many important bikes are unaccounted for.

The works machines often tell many stories of their own, they give a hint at what was being developed by the team riders and occasionally we then see how those features came to fruition in the next years production bikes.

I do wonder if actually there's far more suspicion and secrecy than is really needed. But I do think this makes for an interesting discussion, and I'd definitely be interested to hear counter arguments. It's not unusual for me to overlook some reasoning that should've been perfectly obvious to me!

Comment

I will add though: I do feel strongly that owners details etc should never be published or passed on without permission. That's the data protection angle, and also just common courtesy. But if the current owner of WWC 170F posted saying hey, here's some pics, she's doing fine! - then no harm if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
              X