Small-end roller bearing conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small-end roller bearing conversion

My TFS has loose roller bearings in the small end, which my dad said was unusual. Presumably at some stage it was converted. However there's wiggle/play in the small end. Before I last rode the bike we put a new gudgeon pin in the piston which helped a bit, but when I took it apart today there's movement there.

Is this a standard conversion, i.e. should I be able to find new bearings? Or could they be any size? I will try to accurately measure the conrod so I can work out what size the bearings are supposed to be. Not sure what other options I have really.

Villiers Services list needle rollers for Alpha rod, but standard is a plain phosphor bronze bush which they can also supply, but of course you could make these yourself on your dads lathe. https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...Path=8_100_126

Comment

Thanks John, I should've had a look there! If possible I will keep the roller setup, however if it's a bush that I end up needing I will certainly try making one myself ; )

Comment

Hi Ian
        Neddle roller little end common in Alpha/rod/crank usually hardened washer on each side and you will need a short gudgeon pin or rod to aid asssembly just less than distance in piston,get back to me if you need to

Comment

Originally posted by anglian man View Post
          Hi Ian
          Neddle roller little end common in Alpha/rod/crank usually hardened washer on each side and you will need a short gudgeon pin or rod to aid asssembly just less than distance in piston,get back to me if you need to
          Hi, thanks for confirming that it's the Alpha. I have new bearings in the post from Villiers Services.

My dad and I had it all apart back in December and it was a bit tricky to get it back together. I think we did indeed use a short bit of bar to keep the rollers in place. Thanks for the offer of help, always appreciated. Will report back on whether or not the new bearings solve the problem.

Comment

Here's how I got it back together: https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...1556#post81556

Comment

Working...
            X