Full width hub compared to single sider - comments please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full width hub compared to single sider - comments please

My 62 model 24TD has the single sided front hub with fixed backplate ie front of bike comes up when you put the brake on. Would like to fit a new rim to smarten it up but my brother has dug out of his garage a full width alloy hub as fitted to later models . My question is this - is this an easy conversion and is it worth it? I know I would have to modify the fork leg to take the torque arm bolt by drilling and fitting a support tibe between the two plates that the fork loop pivots on. Hopefully the drawing exists for the torque arm. Also how do you clamp the wheel in the loop yet keep it loose enough to allow the backplate to rotate as you apply the brake?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Hello there

I would personally do the modification with the tin hub you already have, I have done this with one of my bikes and works well, pretty much the same as you suggested doing it, tho the brake plate will need a new fixing point for the torque arm

cheers Charlie
    Last edited by greeves; 18/08/2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

There is a spacer that sits up against the inner bearing track & the lower link arm inner spindle nut on the other end, the brake hub backplate has a bronze bush which runs on the spacer allowing it to rotate without any side load on it.
      But you can also modify the tin hubs to dip on braking using the same setup, a bit cheaper as you don’t have to have a new rim & spokes etc to accommodate the full width hub.

Comment

The full width hub is a vastly better brake, but still no light weight

Comment

Thanks for the reponses guys - once again GRA members who have been there and done it are happy to share their experience and give good advice. I need a new rim and spokes whichever route I decide to go and the choice of "to dip or to rise" isnt of paramount importance. I will check my full width hub to make sure it has the bits that Dave H has mentioned. Once again many thanks folks.

Comment

You should be able to fit the full width hub, but it must have the correct (fully floating) brake anchor arm. The r/hand fork leg also must have the tube welded in to take the anchor bolt. see pics
            Attached Files

Comment

I have single sided on my 1960 24TCS.
              Not sure where I got my shoes from, but were Trials Compound.
              Very happy with Braking, wet or dry.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
                I have single sided on my 1960 24TCS.
                Not sure where I got my shoes from, but were Trials Compound.
                Very happy with Braking, wet or dry.

whitehillbilly
                The tin hub shoes are 1 inch wide and are readily available, the alloy hub are 1 1/8 wide and are not available new only relined exchange from VS or other sources. Someone had the 1 " ones re cast some years ago hence why they are still a lot about. Terry Sewell has them.If you can contact him!!

Comment

This was how i set up my front end, obviously an mds fork, with a boss welded onto the brake plate, incorporating bronze bush etc, it worked very well, & had a strong brake.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for everyones very useful comments about my original question. I fully understand how it could be acheived and need to consider what bits I would need to have fabricated or machined to get the hub to fit. Needs a lot of thinking about whether it is worthwhile to change to a floating backplate using either my existing tin hub or the full width alloy unit.

Comment

Working...
                    X