1960 Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Scottish

Hi, just brought another Greeves project which I want to use for pre 65 trials. The numbers are 60/1135 and it has an engine plate which says 10E (looks like a 9E!!) 652B 7198 and a registration number GSU602. Couple of questions : the V5C has come back in my name but on the document it says "declared manufactured 1987" and "rebuilt some parts not new" ,? Does this mean the previous owner did not get a dating certificate, if so I can organise when I finish the 25DC. Also i need a tank badge, could you advise where i might find one/ pair. It also needs an exhaust but not sure whether it should be a short or long swing arm version? Appreciate any help, better get back to the 25DC or I'll miss the summer.
    regards, John
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

I do have (somewhere?) a pair of well-worn but original Scottish tank badges, John. PM me if interested.

Comment

John
      The reason for the 1987 manufactured date is that the bike was re registered in 1987 (GSU 602 is an age related number, and not the original) Presumably as you say the owner at the time may not have had evidence of the build date and DVLA just recorded it as manufactured in 1987 the date it was re registered. Although you will be able to tax the vehicle you will not be able get it onto FREE Historic Vehicle tax, or MoT exempt so you need to get a dating cert from the club (Colin Sparrow or Peter Smith) to enable DVLA to correct the manufactured date and get it on Historic Tax and MoT exempt.
      The bike is a 20TC so would have a 9E, the 10E has the cylinder in an upright position and were fitted to James and Francis Barnett's. Your engine 625B is a 9E supplied to Greeves for 20TC TD TE DB & SCS so could be the original.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/06/2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Hi John, thanks for the quick response, I'll get a dating certificate done when I've finished the 25DC.
        thanks again, John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          John
          The reason for the 1987 manufactured date is that the bike was re registered in 1987 (GSU 602 is an age related number, and not the original) Presumably as you say the owner at the time may not have had evidence of the build date and DVLA just recorded it as manufactured in 1987 the date it was re registered. Although you will be able to tax the vehicle you will not be able get it onto FREE Historic Vehicle tax, or MoT exempt so you need to get a dating cert from the club (Colin Sparrow or Peter Smith) to enable DVLA to correct the manufactured date and get it on Historic Tax and MoT exempt.
          The bike is a 20TC so would have a 9E, the 10E has the cylinder in an upright position and were fitted to James and Francis Barnett's. Your engine 625B is a 9E supplied to Greeves for 20TC TD TE DB & SCS so could be the original.
          You'll need to contact me. DVLA will only accept my signature on authentication certificates.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Ok thanks Colin, I've got a 25DC that I want dated as well once I've finished it so will get back to you then. Regards, John

Comment

John, Did you get any luck with Hertfordshire Archives re the reg number for your 25DC (192MAR I believe)

Obviously you must have done as its on the DVLA website with a new V5c issued 26/9/19
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/12/2019, 11:16 PM. Reason: update

Comment

The 20TC 60/1135 now for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-S...IAAOSwMN5eBiIW
                Now restored, but still has a non Greeves rear wheel, looks like a lightweight AMC form a Francis Barnett of James.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bit of poetic licence in the ISDT mention! Greeves won medals, but as far as I know, never "Won" the whole event. A bit like the Cheney myth about winning the Manufacturer's award in 1970. Yes, they won AN award, but so did about 10 other manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                  X