Greeves Starmaker special - info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Starmaker special - info wanted

Dave Ingram of Stav Bikes, Chorley has sent me following pics of a Starmaker engined trials bike he has just acquired
    Its frame number is GTS1 (non Greeves number) registered OPE221E engine number 891E894
    First owner in old RF60 continuation logbook is Richard Guymer of St Leonards 22/2/72 and second owner Nigel Quested St Leonards 5/12/74 Does anyone know them or the bike?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/06/2019, 05:57 PM.

Could that be one of the Starmaker Trials engines sold off from Pride and Clarke for very little money?

Comment

GTS1 - Guymer Trials Special 1? I suppose people were quite happy to change frame numbers then. An ego thing, a bit like personalised number plates.

Nothing remarkable about it; a TES or TFS with, as Brian suggested, maybe a Pride & Clarke-supplied engine, or perhaps one from an AJS Stormer etc. If he is looking for works history he may have a long wait! He will be wanting to justify a high price tag, as this dealer usually does.

Comment

Looks like it Brian, the frame looks like a TES with later full width alloy hubs. As there does not appear to be an original Greeves frame number, it looks like it was an unstamped replacement frame acquired and built up as a special. If it had a Greeves number thare would have been no need to stamp it with a new number. I dont think it has any 'works' connection, just a bike built by a clubman back in the day.
        Good news is the bike has a V5c so it wont need authentication by the club. Its available for sale, prospective buyers can contact Dave at dave@ingramltd.co.uk
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/06/2019, 07:23 PM. Reason: text changed from TDS to TES

Comment

Look again, John. It is as I said a TES or TFS. It has the curved top frame tube, likewise the curved L/L bottom loop.

Comment

Yes a TES frame as you say Ian, but with a tubular swinging arm.
            Looks like Richard Guymer died on December 23rd 2017 https://announcements.johnstonpress....&pid=187821104
            so we cant ask him about it. Of course he may not have been original owner as the RF60 is a continuation book. The bike was first registered 6th April 1967, Richard Guymer is listed as acquiring it on 22 Feb 1972
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/06/2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

TFS with the footrests mounted directly onto the rear subframe? Also it looks as if it may have a cable-operated rear brake?
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I think that sums it up, a well put together special from 'back in the day' could be an interesting bike, the unknown factor is of course what state of tune is the Starmaker engine in, Trials, Scrambles or Road spec. also the gear ratio's. The Starmaker was never a brilliant trials engine and as such its probably no better than a standard 36A. As for value I would put it at between £2000 and £2500.

Comment

Starmaker or Ajs Stormer?
                  anyone know how to tell the difference
                  Ive bought an engine that I might put in a Greeves frame.
                  I think its 1967 as there are numbers stamped on tge alloy flywheel.
                  it has the full circle crank so its either motorcross or road spec not a trials.

The con road has a circular hole in it not a slit, piston rings are stepped at the ends to go over the pins in the piston ring groove.
                  the barrel has four stud holes not six.
                  the exhaust is screw in type not bolted on. Inlet stub is cast into barrel not bolted on.
                  no engine number found yet.
                  anyone got any ideas.
                  i took gearbox to bits and checked cogs and its the motorcross ratios i.e wide ratio box.
                  the clutch has six plates I think.
                  I can upload photos of that helps!
                  cheers
                  steve

Comment

Working...
                  X