Betors for Scottish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betors for Scottish?

I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Betor shocks for my 1959 Scottish. I'm not worried about the non-standard appearance. At present I have a pair of horrible non-standard items, which are 310mm long, probably the wrong length. So I need to know if anyone has tried these Betors, I'll use the bike primarily in VMCC trials. They are available in different lengths, any tip on how long is ideal?

Hi Terry. I thought you may have had some replies from trials experts by now! I am not.... All I can tell you is that the original shock length was 11.9", or 302mm thereabouts. If you increase the shock length by much you will upset the geometry of the forks. With leading links, unlike teles, there is not much you can do about that. Some years ago I fitted longer piggy-back shocks on my 24TE, and ended up going right over the handlebars whilst dropping down into a ditch during a trial. That may or may not have been to do with the shock length....

Comment

Hi, as Ian says I wouldn't go much longer than standard, though 8mm probably won't make much difference. I've got steel bodied Betors on my Anglian, and have had the alloy bodied ones on a 325 Sherpa, both work well. One thing to consider is that the Betor bodies are a bit chunkier than the original Girlings around the mounting points, not an issue on the Anglian but was the reason I went for 'clubman' NJBs on my 61 TDS a few years back. Very similar (if not identical) dimensions to Girlings and worked perfectly well in competition.
      Hope that's of some use.

Comment

Not sure about this but would not a change of forks make the bike ineligible for pre 65 trials? Something you need to check on if planning to ride it in competitions.

Comment

He is not talking about changing the forks, John. It is the rear shocks.

Comment

Does that not apply to those as well ie only using those available back in the day which apart from Armstrong's would be Girlings.

Comment

John, no one has ever made any comment about the alloy Betors I have on the Anglian! They don't make me a better rider, that's for sure. probably why they have not been noticed!

Comment

If the originals are no longer available.... Unlike forks, shocks are essentially wear items. If the seals go they are not rebuildable so need replacing complete, with whatever is available. It could be argued that gas shocks are not in the spirit of it though?

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts fellers. I must check that they will fit without mods. I don't mind doing upgrades as long as the changes can be reversed without damage. I noticed other bikes in a VMCC trial were on Betors and no-one complained. No-one can accuse me of being competitive, but it's good to have a bike that feels as if it's handling ok. I'm also going to fit an Amal in place of the Villiers item, so fed up with fiving every section!

Comment

What is the problem with the Villiers carb presumably an S25? the original fitment for the bike. You may not find that an Amal will improve things as they can be difficult to set up well for trials and also it must have the correct parts fitted for two stroke use. So it may be best to sort out existing carb.

Comment

I had problems with my Anglian carb. I spoke to Louis at Villiers Services and he set up a new Amal the same as his and Steve's. It fired 2nd kick and has kept on doing so. Give him a ring.

Comment

Yes, John, it's an S25, but doesn't have a slow running jet. I could drill, tap, fit needle etc etc, but I reckon life's too short. Yes, Mike, I talked to Steve at Villers Services and he has first hand experience, reckons can supply Amal all jetted correctly, fit and forget, guaranteed. I'm taking that plunge. Can't help thinking Villiers built their original carb down to a price and its never going to be wonderful.What is great is that the Scottish gives every sign it's going to be a good ride when it's sorted out.

Comment

I assume you mean the idle screw rather than slow running jet (all carbs have that), some S25's (S25/7 and S25/8) had idle screws fitted for Bond Mini Cars, quite an easy mod just needs drilling and tapping and a screw & spring (same as mixture screw) fitting. Villiers would have supplied to manufactures requirements. Greeves obviously did not think a throttle stop was required on a trials bike so that engine would stop if rider came off. Surprisingly Greeves never also specified a throttle stop on the roadsters, presumably as you say to keep costs down and to reduce stocking different ones in the stores.

Comment

Hi terry
                            I had betor shocks on my 1960 they work ok but were abit springy for my taste. I gave NJB a ring told him my thoughts on the shocks i had. We talked abit about weights bike etc. He set me up with some ultimate shocks and they work great highly recommended. These shocks are adjustable in length he set them at 340mm long to improve the steering which made a world of difference to the bike. As for the carb i run a amal 626 Premier with the pilot jet on the outside of the carb. 130 main, 3 ring pilot about a 25 pilot on the old carb and 3 slide which is around the standardish setting for a 250 villiers with electronic ignition. As for the rules almost all clubs you can run any shocks as long as the don't have a separate gas cylinder

Comment

Thanks very much John and Liam. I do like the idea of adjustable length shocks. It sounds as if the NJBs have a tad more damping than the Betors. Looking at pictures I suspect the NJBs are smaller diameter, and I'm concerned the larger Betors may clash with the chainguard. Good tips, thanks. I'll use those carb settings to check on what will be supplied to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X