Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick F
    replied
    Sounds just up are street Captain, great to do that event some time, will you be blowing the whistle when we go over the top!! the special test should be interesting

Leave a comment:

• ian640
    replied
    Well I believe it's the oldest pre-65 event on mainland Europe, with the organising club's site here and the details of the event here. There was an optional hill climb after the trial but I didn't attempt that, as I'm still breaking in the TFS (I'll think of another excuse for next year :-)).

It sounds like not much has changed since you competed over there - the trial was single venue, with a beer tent, and dinner on the evening of day 1. Whilst the trial was still competitive, the social side was just as much a part of the weekend. The atmosphere was great and everyone really friendly. I wouldn't count on behaving much more sensibly

As we're discovering there's no need to wait until next November as there are a plethora of similar events, the Bilstain Classic being one that was recommended.

Cheers,

Ian.
    Last edited by ian640; 19/11/2016, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Ian, I'd love to hear more about that Mons event! Last time I went to Mons was to help run a battlefield tour (and no, it wasn't in 1914 either, it just feels like it!) We used to go over to Awaiyle (?), down near Liege with our bikes back in the day. Trouble was the hospitality with Belgium beer available on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON - what a novelty that was!! We finished the trial at 3 and by 4 we were just about legless in the local cafe! Then we had the 'banquets pour les pilotes' to face in the evening. I well remember when our hotel ended up with a port couloured stripe from a 3rd floor window to the pavement, provided by quite a well known rider from kent!

Quite fancy a classic trip back over but with far more sensible behaviour this time of course!

Leave a comment:

• ian640
    replied
    Here are a couple more pics from the Mons event, with the machine a little more dirty.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ian640; 18/11/2016, 10:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Colin Sparrow
    replied
    I have a new Wassel trials seat waiting to be fitted in due course. It looks very similar to the one on your bike, but being universal, the rear mounting holes on the sub frame bracket don't line up. I'll just drill a couple of holes in the bracket.

Leave a comment:

• ian640
    replied
    Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    I guess I have the same issue with the seat. I don't really want to start altering the rear sub frame, so I may just have to live with it. Is that a Wassel seat Ian?
    I've no idea what the seat is - I thought it was stock, but the previous owner did have it recovered.

Leave a comment:

• ian640
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
    The TFS rear sub frame was a direct carryover from the 1964 TES. A lot more road miles in those days and a need for what passed for a seat.

Fitting longer units to allow the suspension to work more efficiently brought about the need to lower the seat height. I cut the bracket down to make a pair of mounting point for my simple sheet ally seat covered in closed cell rubber. A reduction of about 65mm in seat height compared to standard.
    Thanks Phil. My apologies if I came across a little tetchy.

I will probably retain the stock set-up as it's likely that the machine will be used in road trials/LDTs. The seat didn't seem to cause me much of a problem at the weekend and sitting down between sections the riding position was quite comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• floydbassman
    replied
    The hydraulic clutch conversion appeals to me being a TFS owner. On the Greeves website, the Pathfinder model advertised (based on the Anglian /Wessex models) says it has a hydraulic clutch. Could be relatively straighforward, the part to find being a slave cylinder from the many different models of modern trials bike and making an adapter to interface with the Villiers gearbox. With that in mind I am going to examine the clutch slave setup on my 125 Gasgas for starters. I wonder what Richard Deal used on the Pathfinder.....

Leave a comment:

• Phil Hyde
    replied
    Seat Dilemma

Colin

Sawing the seat bracket down is a bit of a radical step. I have kept the section that I removed which could be welded back on if I ever needed to return to stock/factory.

My approach has been one of development. I still have lots of ideas, the next of which will be a hydraulic clutch. No doubt a few purists will wince engineering is king.

Keeping your seat standard should have no affect on the rideability. The TFS is in my opinion the best trials Greeves.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Colin Sparrow
    replied
    Originally posted by ian640 View Post
    I see. The seat may be addressed in the next phase. I wonder why they were mounted like that in the first place?
    I guess I have the same issue with the seat. I don't really want to start altering the rear sub frame, so I may just have to live with it. Is that a Wassel seat Ian?

Leave a comment:

• Brian Thompson
    replied
    Experience.....

Likewise Phil, great info.

I had never heard of that one before, interestin' stuff.

Brian.

Leave a comment:

• Phil Hyde
    replied
    Cheers Dave

Yes, lots of information available still to come.

Leave a comment:

• dave higgins
    replied
    Good bit of info phil, helps others to be aware of the pitfalls & is cheaper than trial & error......

Leave a comment:

• Phil Hyde
    replied
    TFS Evolution

The TFS rear sub frame was a direct carryover from the 1964 TES. A lot more road miles in those days and a need for what passed for a seat.

Fitting longer units to allow the suspension to work more efficiently brought about the need to lower the seat height. I cut the bracket down to make a pair of mounting point for my simple sheet ally seat covered in closed cell rubber. A reduction of about 65mm in seat height compared to standard.

Leave a comment:

• ian640
    replied
    I see. The seat may be addressed in the next phase. I wonder why they were mounted like that in the first place?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X