Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Headstock Bearings

Hi,
    I am breaking down my Scottish for re-painting. Please could somebody confirm for me whether or not the cups that hold the ball bearings on the head stock are removable or not? Obviously I don't want paint in them but they are also quite worn so could do with replacing if new parts are available but I don't want to damage them if not.
    Thanks,
    Charlie.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 21/11/2020, 10:04 AM. Reason: Heading modified to better reflect the way this thread has developed

headset

i have just removed the bearing cup from my 59 Scottish forks today, so can say with certainty that they come out. mine are actually slightly loose and therefore require a piece of shimstock to pack them out. hope this helps.

Comment

I am in the process of powder coating my frame and as the cleaning and shot blasting process will prob damage the head stock races I need to find a way of removing them if possible.
      Any body got any ideas as to if they can be removed and how to do it if so please? Can they be converted to taper sets? if so also how? Looks like mine is just a race seat that the balls sit in , it’s flush with the cast down tube no room for tapers in it
      many thanks
      Vexis
      Last edited by Vexis; 17/11/2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

The taper bearing frames had a larger casting to accommodate the larger roller bearings, so no to can you convert to taper roller. As for the ball race cups I dont think they are available new, but you may be able to adapt some from another make of bike. There is a firm selling various ones for Jap bikes on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/haylingmo...p2047675.l2562 Or get some made by an engineer with a lathe.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/11/2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

A member got a batch made a little while ago, as he needed a couple of sets and they are not available. He flogged the rest of the batch on ebay. I believe they are all gone. You could try to PM MR SINBAD, but haven't seen him on here for a while.

Ian C.

Comment

Thanks for the replies it’s given me a direction to follow up .How do the ball race cups fit the down tube? Are they pressed in ,locate over a spigot or how? Do I need pull it press it or persuade it out? Thanks

Comment

They are an interference fit on spigots; see photos. The cups on the bottom yoke are thicker than those on the top, but that will be obvious from the spigot depth. See photos; partly masked up ready for blasting & painting. You just have to persuade them off! They are likely to resist.... Click image for larger version  Name:	TCS Bearing Cups.JPG Views:	0 Size:	173.7 KB ID:	85053Click image for larger version  Name:	TCS Bottom Yoke, Bearing Removed.JPG Views:	0 Size:	189.6 KB ID:	85054Click image for larger version  Name:	TCS detail.JPG Views:	0 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	85055 Ian C.

Comment

On my Roadster all 4 were the same thickness but the uppers and lowers were a slightly different Dia so one pair took 17 x 1/4" Balls and the other 16 x 1/4" Balls most strange I wonder which other bike they came from ?

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Ian, makes a lot more sense when you see it and how they go together rather than guessing and poke and hope.
                  Mine hopefully will survive the blasters as the beam shouldn't need too much blasting Ill have to see what the other ends turn out like

Comment

The plot thickens! The ones in my photos are off a 1960 TCS. I have just checked my 1959 SAS and they are the same thickness top and bottom, matching the thinner top ones of the TCS. It maybe that Greeves fitted a heavier duty bottom bearing on the competition models, as an upgrade for 1960, prior to introducing the taper roller bearings on the next models.

As I mentioned in the previous post, one can easily tell what goes where by the depth of the spigot, which matches the depth of the bearing.

What year and model was your roadster, Peter? It does seem rather odd that you have more balls in one than the other! I will resist the obvious puns!

Same question to you Vexis. You haven't said whether yours is roadster, trials, scrambles, year, model.....?

Ian C.

Comment

Mine is a Scottish 61 tds I can't measure mine as its at the coaters at the mo ,there's a few things I'm finding that are different to others similar year,I think Greeves wasn't as particular in keeping everything as a strict standard when building their machines.More like using up what ever was available till the new mods came in.and of course it was an ever changing development at that time to introduce new ideas after weekend testing and trialling. on the hoof as to say

Comment

Well, that is rather odd, because the TDS was the first Greeves trials model to have taper roller head bearings..... What is the frame number?

Ian C.

Comment

61/1541 frame number not sure what size the bearing cup are till it returns

Comment

To get this straight, you posted up to see how you can convert your bike to taper roller head bearings, when it has them already? Yesterday you were asking how to take the ballraces out before sending off for blasting and powder-coating, as you were concerned about them being damaged. Today you are saying that you can't check it because it is at the powder coaters? What am I missing here?
                            Last edited by IanCordes; 08/12/2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

No it has not got taper bearings, it’s got a ball race and cups.
                              I wanted to know how to remove them ?
                              Or if there was a way to convert to roller bearings,
                              Mine has cup races.
                              It’s gone for cleaning at the coaters, so I can’t measure them at the moment.
                              Once back I can see about removal, before it gets powder coated.
                              I wasn’t sure how they fit together but can see-from your photos now .
                              When it is chemically cleaned it will prob look obvious.
                              Thanks
                              Last edited by Vexis; 19/11/2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X