Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Scottish-frame number query.

Hi
    I am trying to find out what my bike was when it was first buit before the 50 years of modifications! I have looked on the owners site but found it a bit confusing. Could anybody tell me what greeve scottish 1204 was originally?
    Thanks Paul

Frame number is incomplete it should have year number first ie 59/1204
    Then look again on listing

Comment

Frame Number query.

Paul,

Does your frame number have another number followed by a dash, in front of the 1204? If it has, by finding that you can tell which model of Scottish it is by comparing it with the following three examples.

1959 20TA Scottish Trials 197cc Villiers 9E M5 59/1001

1960 20TC Scottish Trials 197cc Villiers 9E M13 60/1000

1961 20TD Scottish Trials 197cc Villiers 9E M15 61/1000

The number you gave refers to the number of bikes produced starting frrom the frame numbers above. To pin down which of the three potential models it is, the number before it with the dash refers to the (approximate) year of manufacture.

Remember that Greeves models for the 'new' year were announced late in the year previously, usually around October. My 24TCS left the factory in October 1959, but the frame number is 60/1482.

The three examples given above are on the 'Identify' chart on the GRA website.

Hope this helps,

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/05/2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Brian it has the pre-fix 59

Comment

You're very welcome Paul, it's a pleasure to help.

A 1959 20TA Scottish Trials (originally fitted with a 197cc Villiers 9E) it is then, by the sound of it.

By the way, the M5 prefix is the 'model number', handy to know when checking parts, factory drawings, etc.

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/05/2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X