Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Pathfinder Identifcation.

Hi Everyone,

I have had a few old motorcycles in the past but have always wanted an old trials machine. When i had the chance to purchase a trials bike described as a Greeves Pathfinder i had to indulge myself.
    On examination quite a few of the parts on this bike appear to be competition items( tank, bars, wheels). I would be grateful for any help that would give me a confirmation this is actually a Greeves Pathfinder. Pictures from Google of Pathfinders show differences to the frame, swingarm, rear mudguard stays.
    It does have a Puch engine and Brink carburator.
    Your help would be appreciated

Can anyone tell me how to transfer a picture onto this post from a saved image on my computer?

Thanks
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac; 29/04/2010, 10:56 AM.

I'm not sure if, as a Basic User, you can post pictures.

If you can, click "Reply" then scroll down to "Additional Options". Attaching pictures is in "Manage Attachments". Have a look, see how you get on. If you're still stuck, just say.

A key to identication would be a frame number - on a metal plaque on the steering head.

Colin
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Pathfinder

Originally posted by Mac View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I have had a few old motorcycles in the past but have always wanted an old trials machine. When i had the chance to purchase a trials bike described as a Greeves Pathfinder i had to indulge myself.
      On examination quite a few of the parts on this bike appear to be competition items( tank, bars, wheels). I would be grateful for any help that would give me a confirmation this is actually a Greeves Pathfinder. Pictures from Google of Pathfinders show differences to the frame, swingarm, rear mudguard stays.
      It does have a Puch engine and Brink carburator.
      Your help would be appreciated

Can anyone tell me how to transfer a picture onto this post from a saved image on my computer?

Thanks
      Mac
      Hi Mac,

Here is a photo of my Pathfinder. Other than a new MZB ignition and new Dunlop tires, it is stock.

Colin...you had the pleasure (?) of riding this at Greeves Daze...for a quick ride anyways!!

Kenny Sykes
      Attached Files

Comment

The only one I've ever ridden Kenny. I remember Frank saying "That's not a proper Greeves!"

I thought it was nice and light and handled very well, but the lack of low-down power caught me out. It ran out of puff going up a steep hill. I know - I should have changed down a couple more cogs.

At least it went..!

With a torquey engine they'd be an excellent trials bike. A 200cc or 250cc four-stroke would be good.

Colin

Sorry, getting off topic - don't forget to help Mac, folks!
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Still need frame number from Mac to identify.

Comment

Greeves Pathfinder identfication

Hi everone,
            Thanks for the replies.
            I am now not convinced this is a pathfinder. instead of 2 downtubes from the headstock there is one. This then has two smaller tubes attached, approx. 18 inchs down, that form a cradle for the engine. The Puch engine and Bing carburattor seem correct. the airfilter looks different however everything seems to look orginal. The engine attachs neatly to the frame and the airfilter attachments and thyristor can attachment look orginal.
            The engine no. is 2690297. The frame number is not present on the headstock.
            On the log book frame number is 59C 380 (59C could be the model number, but 380 looks to be denoting a 380cc engine from something like a griffon).
            Has anyone ever seen a greeves where the rear mudguard holder does not continue in a loop but stops where the bolts enter the top section of the mudguard. All pictures i have reviewed have the rear guard holder in a loop format.
            If anyone is prepared to provide an e mail address i will forward a picture that they could post on the website.
            Thanks again
            Mac
            Last edited by Mac; 04/05/2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

The Pathfinder was the Model 59, so the logbook number looks Ok.

I will send you my email address by private message - I don't want to put it in the public area, although it is available to GRA members.

Just click on Private Messages, top right of the screen.

Colin
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

There you go. What do you think, chaps? Looks a bit like a Pathfinder to me...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 04/05/2010, 07:40 PM.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                  There you go. What do you think, chaps? Looks like a Pathfinder to me...
                  Looks like a Sprite, Wassel or maybe a Saracen...or even a Dalesman??

I think Dalesman used Puch and Sachs motors.

But it is not a Pathfinder...although the Puch motor may have came from a Pathfinder.

Kenny Sykes

Comment

Pathfinder

It's a Pathfinder engine but the frame is an alien.

Could be a Wassell or British Rival (Ken Sedgley would know) or any one of a number of frames.

Druid

Comment

Pathfinder frame identification

Hello Everyone,
                      Thanks for the posts.
                      I've looked up Wassell, Sprite, Saracen, Dalesman........
                      Still can't place the frame that holds the Puch engine that i had thought was a pathfinder. As i stated before this frame does look as it had been produced for the puch engine.

If anyone has any further thoughts please post a message, it's the "not knowing" that is now killing me!!!!!!!

Comment

Its not a Wassell they used a duplex frame, nor Sprite, Saracen or Dalesman
                        there is nothing like it in Don Morley's book Classic British 2 stroke Trials Bikes.
                        I reckon its a special or maybe a scrambles frame.

Comment

Thanks John, I was just about to grab my copy of Don's excellent book to have a look on Mac's behalf!

I'll have dig through the rest of my literature when I get time and will report back if I turn anything up.

Brian.

Comment

Cant help with the frame though that swinging arm looks very familiar but I can with the ignition if it plays up.

Comment

Mac, one thing you can do as the registered owner (keeper) assuming you have it in your name, is to get a list of previous owners from the DVLA. As the owner you can do this, there is a fee about £5 I think. This will probably only take in owners since it went on the DVLA computor, (not those on the old buff or green log book). It will at least give you a lead & by contacting previous owners you should be able to find out who made the frame & indeed the history of the bike. What is the reg. number?

Comment

Working...
                              X