Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scottish rear wheel-does anyone know the offset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish rear wheel-does anyone know the offset?

Has anyone got a TCS/TDS Scottish rear wheel in the state where they could put a straightedge across the face of the brake drum and measure the offset to the edge of the (WM3) wheel rim. It would help me rebuild mine.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/06/2010, 10:05 AM.

Referring to the TCS parts book shows the TCS rear wheel to have a M5 prefix thus meaning it is the same wheel as a Scottish TA.

I have one of these somewhere in the tip, fitted wit a WM3 Dunlop steel rim. I can dig this out and measure it if required.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Referring to the TCS parts book shows the TCS rear wheel to have a M5 prefix thus meaning it is the same wheel as a Scottish TA.

I have one of these somewhere in the tip, fitted wit a WM3 Dunlop steel rim. I can dig this out and measure it if required.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Rob
      I would very much appreciate that Rob.

Thanks,

Ian

Comment

Right - when it's light, I'll get digging! Cheers, Rob

Comment

I was trying to find out this information myself a couple of years back, for when the time comes to rebuild the wheels on my own TCS, and was given the following information. (I don't know if it applies to TDS wheels as well, but this is what I was told for the TCS models.)

Both front and rear wheels had the same offset when new, which is 7/8" to 15/16". Over the years with use, the offset may have altered a little, no more than 1/8", but this should not give too many problems with alignment.

It is common for rebuilt wheels not to have the correct offset due to (some) modern rims being in metric sizes and incorrect offset calculated by the wheel builder.

To check the wheel offset, remove the wheel and the brake plate and place a straight edge dead-flat on the edge of the hub (brake drum edge) and measure to the edge of the rim. The straight edge should be held as near to the wheel spindle as possible, and at least three measurements taken to get an average for the offset.

Has anyone else got anything they can add to this?

Anyway, hope it helps you out Buzzer.

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/06/2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Many thanks Brian; thats very useful information for me.

Comment

My pleasure to pass it on Buzzer, and pleased to be of help.

As a fellow TCS owner I may have other info that could be handy, so if you need anything else just holla and I'll do my best!

Best of luck with your project!

Brian.

Comment

Can anyone clarify what the equivalent dish should be for the TDS rear wheel?

Comment

Working...
                X