Mx6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mx6

Hi, wondering if the MX6 bikes are more collectable than the other MX s, and what sort of price would a very good example be.
    thanks all .

May be ask Gary Bamford?

Comment

Marley Peter. I have left replying to you post waiting to see what other members have to say, but apart from John Mcleod no response!
      So this begs my question why are you asking if MX6 bikes are more collectible than other MX's. Surely the choice should be on the competitiveness of the bike rather than its value. This in turn brings me to the subject of buying bikes for collections rather than use. Over the past few years were have been continually told by 'classic bike dealers' that old motorcycles (including Greeves) are an investment. Well I think the bubble has burst on that, with cost of living, fuel, food etc rising to unprecedented levels the disposable income is rapidly depleting, and will in many cases go negative when winter arrives and heating bills start falling on the door mat. One only has to look on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ves&_sacat=422 to see a large amount of Greeves bikes for sale in excess of 3500 pounds with no sales, some (with dealers) have been on there for months. Also prices in normal auctions are showing signs of not meeting reserves, only last week a restored THSB Anglian only made 1550 in Stroud Auction Rooms sale, and a restored RBS Silverstone in same sale only made 3500. Apart from financial reasons we are also seeing a shrinking market for old motorcycles, the age group with interest in these 50's - 70's bikes is getting older, with many coming up for sale as owners become too old to ride them, or 'drop off the perch'. Youngsters are not interested in bikes of this period (or bikes of any age for that matter) So Marley Peter, might be a good idea to start looking in on Antiques Road Trip and buy some 'investable' antiques, but even with them the market is unpredictable and the contestants, professional antiques dealers come unstuck!

Comment

An old Challenger, such as the MX6, should probably cost no more that (say) ?3k, (that's pounds sterling!) and that would need to be one in good running condition IMHO. Of course, dealers ask high prices for their wares, they need to cover overheads etc, and to make a living, which point is missed by private sellers trying to put realistic valuations on their bikes. There are "youngsters" out there looking to buy and to use these old competition bikes, but they are more "savvy" than given credit for when exaggerated prices are being asked. As for bikes sold at auction, auctions always were the place to go to avoid paying dealers prices, after all it is where the dealers go to acquire the merchandise they sell on, perhaps by getting it into more-saleable condition first, perhaps not! eBay is only one such "auction house"! And as for old Greeves competition bikes being bought as "investments", give me strength!!
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 20/07/2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

personally I buy on 2x lines of thought........
          firstly its something I like / enjoy or admire and then secondly that whilst it may not make any money investment wise it will at least be relatively stable and not fall like a stone on the day after purchase.....
          far too many people these days are seeing vehicles in general as 'investment tools' and that if they keep them X years they will be an extra Y in profit where in reality there is likely to be (yet) another crash in the shorter term and would expect various parties to be sitting with egg on their face!!

Comment

Hi all, thanks for reply, the reason I ask for a valuation, is I am negotiating a deal from the states, so need to have some idea as the cost of shipping etc has to be taken into account to see if the deal is financial viable. Am not concerned about forthcoming investment values, just trying to save another British classic .

Comment

Hello Marley, i bought an MX6 1n 2015, it had come back from the USA, all complete minus the airbox for ?2,500. It was in quite good original condition but had not run for years. I stripped and re built everything but left the paintwork original as it was good and i do prefer originality . I have taken it up Red Marley on two occasions and it has the odd trip to the pub (by green lanes) as i road registered it. It sure scratches an itch i have had for years and i love it ! Value ? Priceless to me.

Comment

Thanks all for your input there was a partsbike MX 3, and an MX6 the MX3 was 900 dollars, the MX 6 4700 dollars for both with 800 dollars shipping plus import charges etc so it’s a no go I am afraid. I have a few bikes, 3 challengers 1Angilan, and 1 Griffon would be nice to have a MX 6.

Comment

Working...
                X