Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Clutch

Hi all
    Not really a new topic I know...but hopefully a new question. Have a Griffon clutch on the MX4 and it has a bit of an issue with binding, not disengaging. Have dismantled it and freed up the plates, reassembled & refitted. Screwed the clutch button adjuster in until it had resistance on the rod end then backed off just a little and tightened. At full lever pull it has about 1mm outward movement on the outside plate. As far as Im aware there is just a push rod no additional roller or ball bearings. I have not attempted to adjust the screw at the operator mechanism side of the box mainly because I don't know what it does. So to try and resolve this my questions are as follows......
    Should there be a bearing with the clutch rod? as I've read in a few places
    Are the clutch springs different rates and do you need to reinstall them in an alternating pattern? ... again as I've read somewhere
    Should there be more than a 1mm outward movement when engaged?
    What does the adjuster at the operator mechanism side do and could altering this help?
    Has anyone got or know where to get an exploded diagram of the clutch?
    Anyone have advice on set up?
    All help appreciated
    Regards Stuck in gear

Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 3A CU F..jpg
Views:	145
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	90963 There's probably a better copy around, but here's an exploded diagram
    Attached Files

Comment

I have one on my ISDT bike, always crunches into gear first time but frees off when it warms up- my problem is its too heavy I assume its intended for the full 380power so I might fit lighter springs, this would very likely mean having them made- anyone else want some so we can share the cost? Peter.

Comment

Always best to free the clutch on kick starter on first start up of the day.

Comment

Sorry ..John what do you mean? hold the clutch in and kick over a couple of times?

Comment

Yes I sometimes hold the clutch lever in with a metal clip made for the purpose to stop the stickyness- sounds posh but ita a bit of bent coathsnger.

Comment

Ok replaced the cable with a heavier lined one and the action is soooo much smoother.....also did some further digging and found I no longer have a pushrod roller?? I have the Griffon clutch but challenger rod set up, so split rod with a disc end on the short length to the adjuster, no roller to be seen except on the diagram! Could have fallen out and rolled away when I pulled it apart or was never there to start with. So thinking of adding/replacing it to see if this is the core issue with the clutch engaging. Have read a few other posts that mention this roller but no specification. I presume it is the same diameter as the push rods but what I dont know is the length. Does 6mm ring a bell to anyone??
              regards Dug

Comment

Working...
              X