High tensile rim colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High tensile rim colour

Anyone know the original flat silver colour for high tensile rims please?

Yikes come on GRA team - what's the answer - any committee members know ? Anyone reading this stuff - lets help out Tony !

Comment

I've had a look through the Griffon brochures 1969-71 and the only indication of wheel-rim colour is stove-enamelled silver-grey. Possibly the same colour as the frames?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

The rims seem to be flatter/duller than the frames. I've tried for years to find an exact match in aerosols, stoving enamels and powder coating but none seem to be exact. The nearest I've got is Porsche silver from Maldon powder coaters or, as I have done sometimes, a silver grey aerosol flattened with fine Scothbrite and finished with a thin coat of clear lacquer. I'd be interested to see what you find.

Druid

Comment

Thanks Colin, John I will have a try and see what I come up with.

Comment

Yes I had already found that John, thanks. It does not give a definitive answer probably because there is not one. I am having them powder coated and then if I don't like the colour I can aerosol on top, that way they will have good protection. The powder coater also mentioned a very light bead blasting on the powder coat gives a very flat matt finish which would be good.

Comment

The rims are done, powder coated with Trimite eggshell silver p8080, then given a light blast with glass beads. Like all these questions on colour the answer is also in what light you look at them as to whether they look correct. Anyway I think they will look good and look even better on the QUB desert bike. Which should have chrome rims however as I will be riding it through countless deserts high tensile will be better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2417.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	86220

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2418.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	86221

Comment

Looking good Tony.

Ian C.

Comment

Definitely looking good, and about what I want to achieve with mine. The rear rim on my dad's 380 is definitely different paint to the frame, although the (tensile) rim could've been repainted. I know that the frame paint is original, and that nothing has changed on that bike since the 80s.

Unfortunately though I need to find a front tensile one (the one on the bike was egg-shaped when dad bought it) and they're not easy to find, although I did pick up a spare rear one recently.

Comment

Are the high tensile rims stamped as such? When Chris had my ISDT bike he had the rims polished with strict instructions not to remove the stamp marks, which, of course, they did. Peter.

Comment

The only 'extra' stamping I can see on one set ( I have 2) looks like MC196, though it is quite faint. Also on the rear the welds on the sidewall.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2480.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	86533

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2481.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	86534

Comment

Working...