mds to trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mds to trials

would an mds scrambler of 1963 vintage take a lot to turn into a trials bike

Basically yes it could be made into a trials bike, as frame similar to a TDS. You would need the trials footrests (further back than on MDS) and detune the engine, thicker head gasket to lower compression, smaller carb and wide ratio gears in the box. Also you would need a silencer (from a TDS) . Not sure about the fork angle I think the trials would be steeper, but depending on what level of trials you want to do the existing setup may be ok for low key pre 65 events or a bit of trail/green lane riding. If you are planning to ride it on the road you will need to get it road registered with DVSA

Comment

You would need to change the forks for trials ones, likewise the footrest positions, which need to go much farther back. Compared with the TES trials model of the period, the MDS frame is a little shorter, which may make it a bit twitchy. Also, the power characteristics are all wrong for trials, with aggressive porting, a carburettor that is way too big for trials and a different inlet manifold arrangement, and exhaust. All of this would make it hard to control in a trial. You would need to source a trials top-end; barrel, head, carb, manifold and exhaust, as well as the forks & footrests.

Totally unsuitable and unviable in my view. If you want to ride in trials buy a trials bike. If you want to ride in scrambles buy a scramber. They may look similar at first glance, but are in fact totally different.

Ian

Comment

John's and my posts overlapped! Yes, I forgot about the trials gears, the scrambles ratios being unsuitable.

Sorry John, but the frame is not like the TDS. It is more similar to the TES, but an inch shorter.

Way too many things to change to make it worthwhile. If you want a good trials bike, check out Dickie's TES mk2 on ebay. That IS suitable! Sell your scrambler & buy that one!

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          Sorry John, but the frame is not like the TDS. It is more similar to the TES, but an inch shorter.
          Ian
          Yes but as TES is a trials bike so basic facts still apply. Lots of owners back in the day bought the earlier SAS and converted it to a TAS (or vice versa) for trials in the winter, of course these had the iron barrel so state of tune was not so much of a problem, but gears would have been. OK its not going to make the best trials bike but if (as I assume) Ronnie already has an MDS and just wants to dabble in trials it would maybe make sense.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/10/2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

SAS and TAS had basically the same frame. TDS frame was quite different. TES frame was different again and shared its basic design with that of the MDS, but MDS was lower slung than the TES for a lower centre of gravity more appropriate to scrambling, but which would tend to give it lesser ground clearance than that favoured for trials. MDS also had a greater splay to the forks (hence the longer wheel-base?) and this resulted also in a more limited turning circle than that which might be better suited to trials work.
            Then there are the differing engine and gearbox characteristics to consider ………...…..
            Probably best to trade in (or forgo) the MDS for a nice Scottish.
            John R
            Last edited by johnrunnacles; 31/10/2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I ride a converted mds in trials. It all depends on what you have. If you have a good original mds then best sell and buy a trials bike but if like me you have a collection of part then make the changes and enjoy

Comment

Working...
              X