Granther!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granther!

This 250cc Red Panther engined scrambler has appeared on facebook. Built by Will Hawks of the Eastern Centre. Presumable a modified Griffon frame (he says its a Greeves frame)
    Attached Files

Blimey, why would you do that? Mind you, I once made up engine plates with a view to fitting a 175cc Bantam engine in an Aermacchi frame, so I can't criticise.

Comment

Quite. I had a 350 Red Panther as a field bike back in my youth but it was not what I would call a quick engine. Old slogger and difficult to tune. The 350 was rated at only 15 bhp so the 250 would be even less, 10 bhp maybe, and certainly less powerful that a 250 Villiers 32A / 34A. Presumably just built for a bit of a laugh, certainly not going to win many races with that.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/10/2019, 12:04 AM.

Comment

What I like about this is you get the feeling the builder had this frame, and under the bench was lurking this engine, so he built a rideable bike from what was lurking in the shed.

Nice one!

BTW what a fabulous looking engine

​​​​​​​

Comment

The engine came from one of these https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/pa...er-250-cc-ohv/ I wonder what happened to the original bike?
          Attached Files

Comment

Would love to see that going round in the Greeves Championship. Mind you, Dave's scoring system may need adding to for Handicap points to suit this beast!
            Last edited by johnrunnacles; 12/10/2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              The engine came from one of these https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/pa...er-250-cc-ohv/ I wonder what happened to the original bike?
              I believe Pride & Clarke used to knock them out for £29 10d new!

Comment

The original post mentioned that a similar? engine fitted to a hillclimber was timed at over 95mph.... Presume that was giving a few more bhp than standard.

Comment

Working...
                X