Desert bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert bike

Just picked up by latest bike, a Griffon 380 Twinport, The bike is 58D Twin port with a GBA gearbox. The original GP4E engine has been changed due to damage, however I have the original to have repaired. The rear wheel is high tensile, front replaced with normal chrome rim.
    Similar spec to the Enduro and with the original Motoplat could have lights. In fact these numbers are very close to the Enduro that is shown on Flickr . Whether these were made to order I am not sure and I have asked on the Nicholson Facebook site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	76107

Name:	IMG_0719.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	76110

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	76109
    Attached Files

Feedback from Kenny

"58D is Nicholson spec 380 with 24MX6 gear ratios used on Desert models with Ceriani 58D or Leading link 58B suffix".

and also
    "D is for Ceriani. Models that came to Nicholson in late 69 thru 71 were B,C,E and D in the 56 and 58 series Griffons. C and E were close ratio MX. Griffon Enduros with lights were model 60 and 61N which were late 1971 to year 1972. It can get confusing.".
    Last edited by tony; 04/06/2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Has anyone got a spare or unused Griffon side stand please?

I need the crate for another bike

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	76586

Comment

Sorry, no but I've got a couple of milk crates

Comment

Thanks for the offer, however they don't fold up very well

Comment

I put a very hot triumph on one once and it folded instantly

Comment

The bike is back from Dave ready to finish now the engine is rebuilt. The new alloy tank has been sprayed by Steve - Gun metal grey flake as the theme will be grey and black on the silver frame.
              Next job is to sort out the rims. The rear rim is the correct high tensile however the front is not. I have a high tensile 21 x WM1 so it might be a rebuild job then both rims will be coated black.

Name:	IMG_1892.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	78996

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	78997

Comment

Hi Tony,

Wow! I've been looking forward to seeing the tank finished since you first told me about it and saw the wooden bucks....what an amazing piece of work it is. Really like the colour scheme too and the whole bike is looking tremendous, really purposeful and very appropriate in my opinion. It makes a rare bike in the UK unique and a fantastic addition to your collection. Best of all, like all your bikes it's been built to be used and enjoyed. Congratulations mate, and well done! Also to Prof Higgins and his expertise, as always. Great work guys.

I reckon you're going to have a lot of fun with this one mate....!

Thanks for posting the pics, great to see it all coming together.

Brian.

Comment

What a cracking machine, Tony.

No doubt you'll be putting it on the road?

I'm not planning to go to Shepton Mallett in 2020 although I'll probably do Telford. If you get things moving in January I can get one of the usual suspects to do the inspection at Shepton. Or bring it to Telford and I'll do it. Do you need an application form?
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin - Yes I will get it on the road hopefully early in the new year. I will arrange with you to get Les to inspect it at Shepton Mallett as I will be there with the 380 Enduro or maybe even this one. I am okay for an application form thanks.

Comment

I would like one of the larger rear lamp holders that are on the 250 & 380 Enduro however probably going to be too difficult to source. I have the smaller version that was fitted on the Pathfinder Enduro which is similar and will not look out of place.

Name:	IMG_1901.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	79022

Comment

Is it not a Lucas one like this https://www.classicbikepartscheshire...SABEgKl-_D_BwE
                        As in this pic https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-det...g/64/lot/2149/
                        If not it is probably one of these https://www.classicbikepartscheshire...mps-lenses-c15
                        Still available new
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/11/2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                          Hi Colin - Yes I will get it on the road hopefully early in the new year. I will arrange with you to get Les to inspect it at Shepton Mallett as I will be there with the 380 Enduro or maybe even this one. I am okay for an application form thanks.
                          Hi Tony, if you let me have an application form, a cheque and photos of the frame and engine numbers well before Shepton, I'll get Les lined up.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Okay Colin, by the way this is the last one that was already paid for (I will send the email if you can't remember)

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                              I would like one of the larger rear lamp holders that are on the 250 & 380 Enduro however probably going to be too difficult to source. I have the smaller version that was fitted on the Pathfinder Enduro which is similar and will not look out of place.

Name:	IMG_1901.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	79022
                              Hi Tony,

Yes, I see exactly what you mean. The larger Griffon Enduro version is very similar to the Pathfinder Enduro one, almost like it was scaled up to suit the bigger bike. As you say, probably a tricky part to source this side of the pond, but be great to be able to find one to fit. I know you've done extensive research into the US spec models as you've been restoring your bikes and was wondering if these were added by Nicholson's or factory items that were shipped with the bikes? It sure 'looks' Greeves to me and if that is the case maybe a drawing exists, at the risk of stating the bl##ding obvious as I'm sure the thought must have already occurred bud....

Either way, I reckon the Pathfinder version you have looks great and at least you have something to use until you can source an original version.

Interestingly, the type fitted to the Gauntlet prototype looks very similar to the one you're after, but I guess one of those would be even harder to find....!!

Good hunting mate, and hope something turns up.

Brian.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X