Lead Baloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Baloon

I suppose alongside the Bohemouths of the day like AJS and Matchless the 1958 Hawkstone was a light weight so I was not too surprised by the weight of the ponderous rear brake crossover and levers but when I took the footrest assembly off (passing over the positioning of the securing bolts :-0) I could not believe the weight! is the main foot rest shaft solid bar? am i missing some reason for its strength? There must have been a quick update or common modification, those two components must weigh the same as the rest of the frame!

Main footrest bar is indeed a solid bar, Tim, and was needed to be so for its original purpose of taking the full weight of the rider bearing down with precious little absorption from the suspension of the day. The footrest assembly was a very simple construction, drawing cleverly on the bottom frame securing bolts for its fixings. Even though a solid bar, it was not impossible to put a bend in it in a heavy fall, as some of us found in those early days before the advent of folding footrest conversions!
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 31/03/2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X