Hawkstone footrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkstone footrests

Hi, Anyone welded modern folding footrests to the rear subframe downtubes?.......w here else can they go? Photos appreciated!

I just cut the old footrests off and welded on the bracket for the folding ones

Comment

Same here. Need to offer up the folding footrest assembly to get the stubs the right length, and get a good angle and a nice flat surface to the cut.
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 18/02/2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Don't have the original footrests!!

Comment

In which case, it'll probably cost you a good bit more than the price of the folding set (?) Welding to the frame down-tubing may work for trials use but scramble (Hawkstone) rests probably need to be further forward and a bit more secure. In any case, it would spoil the originality of the rear sub-frame. Perhaps if you have a word with Parkwood Products they may be able to make up a "hybrid" assembly using your new folding set, but at a price? Or you may be able to make up forward-projecting bolt-on hangers perhaps suspended from the swinging-arm pivot and spacered to the engine cradle? Otherwise, original pattern Hawkstone ones do turn up on fleabay from time to time …………….... or someone may have a set laying dormant in their shed?
          Last edited by johnrunnacles; 18/02/2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks John. Parkwood Products have never made a set but asked if I could get a drawing of Hawkstone originals-anyone on here have one??
            Don't know which way to go-this bike is going to have a Triumph engine and is for trials-type use so maybe welding on my folding set ,which can always be 'unwelded'!, is a goer .

Comment

Parkwood do a folding Challenger f/rest assy. but no photograph. Anyone know if this would fit a Hawkstone frame?

Comment

Again, do Hawkstone footrests feature amongst the factory drawings that Rob supplies?

Comment

I need to fit folding footrests to my 1959 SAS Hawkstone, which is stripped at present. I have a set on it's way from VS. Can anyone please give me an optimum measurement, taken from the engine plate, to the point where the footrest bar is cut off in order to weld the bracket for the new footrests?

Many thanks.
                  Ian

Comment

Final position and overall width of folding footrests can be a matter of personal preference, Ian. I found that offering up the new assembly and marking the cutting point on the fitted old bar to work best for me. You can better gauge the angle of cut in that way, too.
                    Having said that, those on my SCS are cut off at about 130mm from the engine plate.
                    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 04/09/2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. It would be easier to gauge it if the engine was installed, which I could temporarily drop in to measure. As it is, 5" seemed about right, but confirmation from someone who has already done it can save cutting off in the wrong place! Your 130mm = 5 1/8", so we are singing off the same hymn sheet, as they say. The footrest bar is still fitted.

Many thanks.
                      Ian

Comment

If it's any help have just done this folding footrest mod to the footrests on my '62 model TD Scottish. On the offside have cut the bar to give clearance for the kickstart to pass by the footrest which has had the spring removed to allow it to be folded up completely. Much easier to start when you can kick straight down rather than almost horizontally. Obviously it was easier to do with the engine in to mark off where the bar was needed to be cut to allow the footrests to be welded on. On the nearside the footrest was fitted to clear the brake pedal..
                        Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Working...
                        X