Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDS Tyres

Hello All.
    I'm close to finishing a MDS resoration and am thinking about tyres.
    2.75X21 and 4.00X18 seem to be rare these day's and there are a lot of things like 90/90X21 and 120/90X18 about.
    I'm looking for any size and any make thats suitably scrambler style knobbly (not a trials type) but road legal if possible.
    The main concern is the rear and finding something small enough not to foul the chainguard.
    Any hints and tips much appreciated.
    P.S Regarding the Megaphone - It would be worth the 25 quid for a fail certificate - just to see my old MOT man running around the garage screaming "you can turn the thing off now".
    Attached Files

'Mega'!

Ha ha!!!!

Blackshiver, ya gotta do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon lads, let's have a whip round and 'make it happen'!!! (Just make sure you get it on film, ok?!)

Any thoughts on those tyres please chaps?

Brian.

Comment

Dunlop still have "scramble" tread tyres available in these sizes.

EG:

Dunlop Sports K990 70/100 - 21 (equivalent to 2.75 x 21)
      Dunlop Sports D752 100/100 - 18 (equivalent to 4.00 x 18)

I am not sure about road use.

Comment

Chainguard clearance.

Blackshiver,

I was pondering on your problem, and had a couple of thoughts...

On my TCS there are two spacers fitted behind the chainguard, one in the centre and another at the rear (on the shock bolt), 9/16" and 5/8" respectively. I don't know if these are the same for your MDS, but wondered if you might be able to 'win' a bit of clearance there if all else fails...? Obviously you'd need to ensure it doesn't interfere with the chain run and shock, but it might be worth a check.

I'll bet Adrian Dickerson would be able to advise you though (on tyres and spacers) if you contact him through the club.

Otherwise, I guess it's a case of sit down with a brew and a stanley blade one evening...! Not the best thing for grip in left handers though I suppose..

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 31/05/2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

MDS Tyres

Hi All. Thanks for the advice.
          80/100X21 front and 100/100X18 rear went in fine.
          No problems at all and they are road legal as well.
          Took an eighth of an inch off the two chainguard stay's and have perfect chain alignment and no rubber touching the back.

Comment

Good to hear that Blackshiver, and thanks for the update and additional info.

Any chance of us seeing some pics when you've finished the resto? That'd be great!

Brian.

Comment

Working...
            X