Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 Greeves MCS/2/808 Restoration Begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Greeves MCS/2/808 Restoration Begins!

Good morning all!

I introduced myself a few weeks ago, had just joined. I talked about how my husband, Dave, and myself were getting ready to restore this beauty.

Dave bought the bike in the early 80's, we both lived in Phoenix, AZ at the time, and it was before the internet. He got many different opinions on the bike and was told it was a Challenger. He got caught riding it in the mountains of Northern AZ, and the Forrest Service fined him heavily and told him to get a spark arrestor on the bike or, if he was caught even starting it, they would confiscate the bike. He drained all her fluids and put her in storage.

We moved to MaysLick, KY in 8/2005. In 2008 I went in to renew the tags and registration on our vehicles and inquired about dirtbike regulations. Here in the Commonwealth, no rules...just stay off county maintained roads. Needless to say, out of storage came the Greeves, I spoke with Frank to get proper fluids and gas to castor bean oil....filled up, 2 kicks and she roared to life not missing a beat! WHAT A RIDE!!! I even managed to convince Dave to put the MEGAPHONE ON HER...WOW!

My parents retired and moved into our walkout basement...we live in a very small subdivision in the middle of the woods, we have 4 acres and the dirt roads and wood trails are not county maintained..lots of room to ride.

Last year the ole girl began having issues, carb related. SOO we decided to restore her, not to museum quality, but close and we still wanted to ride her and often. Some health issues got in the way, but those are settled now.

SOOO...it has been amazing! Our local Kowasaki dealership, it opened in the mid 60's and changed hands early 70's....they have really helped. We didn't want the AMAL carb, as our sealevel would not agree with it..wanted a new early 70's Mikuni...the original owner ran her in the desert, did Barstow to Vegas and other races. I went to the shop to inquire about cables, we got talking about the carb....out Thad, owner comes with a brand new early 70's carb, said he found it in back when he took over the store in the 70's..dusted it and boxed it up....a score for $100.00! We put it on just before we took her apart....AMAZING..she blew a little white smoke and ROARED, started on 2nd kick again! We also had to go with OEM throttle assembly with cable....once new carb in, the cable hung up in the carb and when Dave was riding her, he shifted to 2nd and throttle stuck FULL ON...even when he pulled the plug she still ROARED...finally stalled after 5 minutes.

Also, got OEM Dunlop trials tires...the plug wire was difficult, had to go with OEM race car to get the copper core!

The Villers 36A serial 085E is SOUND! Amazing. We got all seals, gaskets etc from Frank, he has helped more than I can say! Got fenders from him too, also bolts and lots of extra stuff, just want to replace since we got her down to the bones..frame even in peices!

GOING GREAT with some hang ups, for sure. The tank, want to keep it original, finally found someone in these parts that does to tig welding, also fabriction...the front R fender frame bracket has been brazed many times over, in fact it fell apart in to 2 pieces when we removed it...going to have one fabricated.

Back swing arm....TRULY FANTASTIC...we were warned not to mess with it if it didn't squeak, but Dave moved the bolt through it little by little....NO RUST, IT CAME OUT LIKE BUTTER! In fact, the only rust on her...a little spot inside the chaine guard!

The Magneto back side has the date of 02/63 stamped on it. The seat was intact...but foam shot, leaking out like sand...almost done being repadded and recovered.

I also finally found a vintage/antique body shop that can glass blast her...we were looking for bead blasting or soda...but this guy says he started using glass in the 80's on alluminum and soft metal, has had such good luck with it he doesn't even use the other medias any more.

IT IS JUST TRULY AMAZING TO SEE WHAT GOOD SHAPE SHE IS IN AND HOW WELL SHE HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF!

Sorry so long..would love any input or ideas, please, speak up and freely!

We also got bars per Frank, the ones on her had the middle bar.
    I got, off ebay, a 1963 Cycle Trader magazine.....the Road test for the Moto Cross Scrambler....ITS HER TO A T! The only difference is the one in the magazine has the "stock" 32A, ours has the 36A...but identical frame, square head, square swing arm, shocks without chrome cap!THANKS ALL! AS I SAID, ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
    Tammy in USA, KY

You are fortunate to be able to ride off-road with so few regulations. Hope the rebuild goes well. How about posting some pictures when its finished?

Regards
    John
    John A - 268

Comment

Working...
    X