Griffon frame number query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon frame number query.

I have been considering trying to source a Griffon Enduro which I believe was produced in small numbers for the American market and was supplied with a lighting set and different gear ratios to the scrambles version.
    I have been offered a Griffon recently returned from America with a twin port engine & frame no. 60D 376 - manufactured in Dec 1972. The fibre glass tank is finished in red metal flake.
    Any help over identifying this Greeves and help over identifying Griffon Enduro frame & engine numbers would be much appreciated.
    The same vendor has also for sale an as yet unidentified older Greeves - frame number 24MD185 - any help over what this would also be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Griffon frame no. query - pics

[ATTACH]1384[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1385[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1386[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1387[/ATTACH]

Comment

Griffon frame numbers

Steve,
      An M60 should be a 250 Griffon not a 380 twin port.
      The Griffon enduro, I believe, was only made in the 380 version and should be an M61N.
      Kenny Sykes (Bearing Man) is the guy to contact regarding bikes returning from the US and the frame designations.

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
        [ATTACH]1384[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1385[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1386[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1387[/ATTACH]
        I think I recognise that wall in the pictures!!! Looks like Mr. Pipwippet.

Comment

Griffon frame numbers

Hi all,

Model 56 was 250 griffon

Model 58 was 380 twin port

Model 60 should be qub 380 or 250 I think

Scott

Comment

There was a Model 60 250 Griffon 'Enduro Model, Nick Nicholson Motors Specification'.

The parts list (GMC 212) shows it as Model 60N Enduro 250cc. It also shows Model 60ND M.P. Fork Model.

I can also find a 60C 250 (Ceriani Fork) and 60E (MP Fork) but no 60D!

Hope this helps (if only to confuse!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              There was a Model 60 250 Griffon 'Enduro Model, Nick Nicholson Motors Specification'.

The parts list (GMC 212) shows it as Model 60N Enduro 250cc. It also shows Model 60ND M.P. Fork Model.

I can also find a 60C 250 (Ceriani Fork) and 60E (MP Fork) but no 60D!

Hope this helps (if only to confuse!)
              Hi Rob.

You're correct on the 250 60N or ND Enduro.

The 380 Griffon Enduro was 61N or 61ND. I'll check in Nick's archive's for 60D. All Griffon Enduros came with the large Motoplats with lighting. The motor featured the new ignition side crank case and stiffer crank. The Griffon pictured incorporates a Stefa. It could be a desert version that Nick specified.

I hope this helps.

Kenny Sykes
              USA

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                Hi Rob.

You're correct on the 250 60N or ND Enduro.

The 380 Griffon Enduro was 61N or 61ND. I'll check in Nick's archive's for 60D. All Griffon Enduros came with the large Motoplats with lighting. The motor featured the new ignition side crank case and stiffer crank. The Griffon pictured incorporates a Stefa. It could be a desert version that Nick specified.

I hope this helps.

Kenny Sykes
                USA
                Also of note...I have 2 Griffon Enduros along with a spare frame. All three frames are electric wired welded in the steering head gussets and not brazed welded like the Motocross versions.

Kenny

Comment

Thanks Kenny, it's very handy to have a spy on the right side of the pond!

Comment

I have 380 cc frame number 61E 196, any body know the year? is it correct number for a 380cc fiberglass plain red.do the factory record still exist,

Comment

Hi,

In the identify section of our site, model 61 Griffon denotes a 1971 380 Twinport Griffon, I think the E part of the frame number means it was an export model which would make sense where you are.

Most twinport 380s were red fibreglass with silver frame/swingarm.

The single port QUB had a black frame and golden glow fibreglass I think.

Riflegreen/Druid I am sure will confirm this (Im more of a challenger guy)

Good Luck

Scott

Comment

Griffon identification

As Scott says, a plain red 380 twinport from '71.

As far as I'm aware the export despatch records no longer exist so we can't be more precise than the info above.

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
                          As Scott says, a plain red 380 twinport from '71.

As far as I'm aware the export despatch records no longer exist so we can't be more precise than the info above.

Druid

Hi Druid,

We have a few Griffons here in the states with the suffix E. Most that came through Nicholson were either D,B or C which were 1969-70 models. The E might have been an east coast spec, next time I look in the Nicholson files I'll make a note.

My best to all.

Kenny Sykes

Comment

griffon,

Thanks for the help re year model for Griffon, I am looking for a set of Ceriani forks for this bike, the type that take the 1" handle bar, as the original's are missing, can any body help ?

Comment

I have a 73 250 enduro griffon engine number is M60 L, any idea what the L denotes?
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180917-211813.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	89640

Comment

Working...
                              X