No announcement yet.

GREEVES 25DD ESSEX TWIN 1964 on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thank's to all concerned, very helpful, I notice that these are fitted to barrels with the screwed exhaust and finned ring, the exhaust outlets on the barrel's of mine are sort of sat back in a recess with no provision for a screwed ring, presumably as it's 4T as opposed to 2T.... Sorry to sound naive but never had anything to do with these engines before, however I've spotted a pair of barrels on e bay for a 2T with the screwed outlet would it be worth my while investing ???? ie are they a straight swap or swapable with some modification ???? It may be easier to fabricate a system to these type of outlets than the ones on mine, as I've no idea what the exhaust fittings are like, being missing... Any advice greatly appreciated

Since posting this I have been scouring the web for pics and found some very good ones of enfield turbo twins and james superswift's where the barrels are same as mine it seem's they're a female thread in the barrel with a male unfinned ring
    Last edited by Pete Walton; 05/02/2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

4T/2T engines

Pete
      Your engine is a 4T with the exhaust ports internally threaded to take externally threaded locking rings. The 4T barrells are NOT enterchangable with the 2T without a lot of work. different pistons, bigger gudgeon pins on 4T, you would need to re bush 4T con rods to fit 2T pistons on 4T bottom end. No you best to use the 4T barrells & make exhausts to suit. The gear clusters are to my knowledge the same as 2T. The standard 4T ratios being
      1, 1.32, 1.9 and 3.06 : 1 the minicar version 4T/SK & 4T/SRK has wider ratios 1, 1.556, 2.240 and 3.06 : 1. These wider ratios would be better suited to off road riding whilst still giving a reasonably high top gear.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/02/2011, 07:29 PM. Reason: Info of gear ratios added

Comment

Well look's like we've worn this thread out now.
        So many many thank's to all who contributed, it's been very helpful, I know what I'm up against now....
        The 4T engine won't turn over so need's investigating, if it's useable I may just opt to keep it even though I can foresee a lot of work fabricating some upswept exhaust's for it...
        Failing that it's back to the c15 lump.....
        Whichever way I will keep posting updates and pic's as work progresses.. So thank's once again to all contributer's

Pete

Comment

25dd essex (517bhj)

Just came across this old thread & wondered how you are getting on with the restoration Pete. I note from DVLA site its not taxed yet so maybe you have a way to go. Any pics?

Comment

On eBay as a Tri Greeves basket case 8/20 https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...es-basket-case

Comment

Working...
            X