DC Roadster Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Roadster Seats

My impression has always been that the the DC range of roadsters, irrespective of engine fitted, had seats with a blue top and grey sides. My newly acquired 32DC has grey sides and top. I know they had a silver panel on the top of the tank instead of the pale blue on the 25DC, but did the difference extend to the seats, does anyone know?

Ian C. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_094900.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	89449

Hi. Ian, The first Greeves I purchased 20 odd years ago had a dark blue top with a grey skirt seat which looked original at the time, it was a 25DC although a 32DC according to frame number confusing I know that is why I love Greeves. Les.

Comment

The grey/greenish herringbone top design is considered original on the 32DC, yet the blue herringbone top looks nice on the 25DC though and seemingly a newer available choice.

Grey top seat vinyl was widely used in the industry back in the day, I have a couple of James’s with it - has now become unobtainiana.

Later (post 63) roadsters gravitated towards black seats, as can be seen in those sales leaflets of the time and fitment of which rests purely on personal choice.

Many combinations exist out there so it’s difficult to establish which is or isn’t original these days, especially as we’re talking about 60 odd years ago.

Regards
      John

Comment

Hi John. Thanks for your reply. I don't recall seeing a grey/greenish top, but certainly the blue top with pale grey sides seems to be the most popular these days. There are then the lighter blue, and darker blue variants! I suspect, as you no doubt rightly say, it is a matter of personal taste these days, plus of course what aftermarket providers want to give us.

Cheers.
        Ian C.

Comment

Hi Ian
          Thanks for your reply, my DC bikes have always had their seats well worn out before my ownership or even had a wrong bantam dual seat fitted. Was a god send when Leighton’s blue top herringbone pattern arrived!

The very few full original early DCs I’ve ever seen or compared from early photo’s always had the grey top herringbone pattern tops.

My ‘63/‘64 32DC had a black seat fitted, which is correct for it’s ‘all’ moorland blue colour scheme - but I think it seems less attractive than the grey seat with silver top tank combination of earlier years. Hey ho.

cheers.
          John

Comment

John8700 Interesting to hear you have a 63/64 32DC the last ones sold in UK were 1963 with last frame No 32DC146. However there was a small batch sold in the USA as 32DC East Coasters frame numbers 32DC148B to at least 32DC157B which would have had black seats. So is your bike one of these? I would be interested to know the frame number of yours.

Comment

Hi John
              Frame number is 32DC131, supplied by Palmers, Twickenham.. has a ‘B’ registration suffix.

All Moorland Blue scheme with black seat & alloy guards, must have been amongst the last ones prior to the East Coasters I reckon?

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
              John

Comment

Thanks John another new one on survivors list, next nearest is 132. Any chance of a pic of the bike.

Comment

John Wakefield, I am in possession of the 32DC-157B that you spoke of in a previous post...mine has a black seat

Comment

Originally posted by tbolt71 View Post
                    John Wakefield, I am in possession of the 32DC-157B that you spoke of in a previous post...mine has a black seat
                    Yes Tim as I mentioned to you on facebook your bike is a 32DC East Coaster' sold by Randy Wilson the East Coast dealer. Very few sold I know of only 6 including yours. You may care to take a look at this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...5-east-coaster Unfortunatly some of the pics have been deleted but most can be seen here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...1FaFV2MkxIWWpB Tony is our expert on the 325 East Coaster he owns the only known restored up and running one, see the attached pics.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/12/2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

It is not known why Randy Wilson marketed these bikes, or the exact date they were built, must have been post September 1965 as that was the date the pics of the 250cc East Coaster used in his leaflet, were published in the Motor Cycle Mechanics Road test. Furthermore its not known if the bikes were fully built by Greeves or sent out in parts and assembled by Wilson.Looks like he may have bought some old stock frames & engines from by then obsolete 32DC's & 32DD's plus maybe other parts left over from the 25DC East Coaster Production run. So that would date the 325cc US bikes to probably mid to late 1966. Another mystery is to why Wilson went to the trouble of marketing these bikes when he could have bought standard 250cc EC's, after all it is reported that they were aimed at the US market (hence the East Coaster name). Presumably Wilson thought the larger capacity would be more salable than 250's.

Comment

A few pics if 'tbolt71's bike as he cant post pics himself not being a full member. A nice find only 1860 miles on clock from new
                        Attached Files

Comment

Shame the export dispatch records did not survive the closure of Greeves, but I believe Greeves made these 3T engined, "East Coasters" to order for Randy Wilson, not something he would have cobbled up himself. As for why not the UK version of the East Coaster, I agree that the 3T engine would have more appeal to the US market. The sales leaflet Randy made up is a combination of a 32DC road test with a photo and some words about the colour scheme from a UK version East Coaster pasted in. As this addition included the name East Coaster that is probably why he sold these bikes under the same model name.

Stan
                          Last edited by Stan Nicholson; 28/12/2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I agree Stan as the frame stamping is the correct Greeves font. The big question is when they were made. Some of the bikes (the ones with the 32DC frame numbers) have the long rear number plate. The drawing for this was not drawn up until Feb 1965 so that dates them to post that date. So I think the bikes were probably manufactured in late 65 or more likely 1966 as the UK East Coaster was tested in Sept 1965 and the pics in Wilson sales leaflet came from that. Also Greeves must have had some 3T engines left over as Villiers had stopped making them by 1964. Another mystery is whether some of the bikes with the 32DD frame numbers had fiberglass tanks, 32DD126B has a fiberglass tank but I thought they were not legal in USA, so may have been fitted later by the owner to give higher capacity. (see pic)
                            Attached Files

Comment

It was my understanding too, that the US would not allow non-metal petrol (gas) tanks for street machines. May still be the case today. Maybe owners could get away with fitting one later but I doubt a dealer/importer would get away with this.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                              X