Sports twin exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports twin exhaust

Advice please, just bought a 62 sports twin, ( had one in 62 ) supposedly restored, yeh right! It has the Siamese setup, & I wish to convert to twin pipes, New down pipes from armour & found they exit directly into the centreline of the footrests. Hmm, studying various photos of the 2, I notice that the footrests are different between the 2.
    Footrest is BELOW the pipes on the Siamese & ABOVE on the two pipe setup, Looking closer I realize the centre-stand assembly HAS to be different, but how??
    My bike is in a zillion bits at the moment & the centre stand assy has the footrest-as a one-piece bar welded right through, but have no idea as to the other setup,
    Can anyone tell me where the difference is?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Difference.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	83840

Are you sure the two bikes are the same model? The one on the left is a DC frame (1961 onwards) with exhausts below the footrests, the right hand pic looks like a DB frame (up to 1960) with the exhausts above foot rests. Looks like the Armours pipes are for the earlier DB model.

Comment

OK, i'll go along with that, i'm a Greeves virgin, & don't actually know the variations, BUT, I would imagine the centre stand/footrest frame to be interchangeable possibly,
      I.m wondering if I can use the existing frame as a template & fabricate an alternative with the footrest as indicated, don't want to chop the existing, just in case!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Are you sure the two bikes are the same model? The one on the left is a DC frame (1961 onwards) with exhausts below the footrests, the right hand pic looks like a DB frame (up to 1960) with the exhausts above foot rests. Looks like the Armours pipes are for the earlier DB model.
        Had another look at my pics & not sure about your statement, the left, dark blue is a 1963 (ESSEX ) ?? & the right, light blue is mine & its a 1962 , don't know the designations though, but BOTH have the straight rear frame up to the shocks & not the rounded-forward type frame.

Comment

Looks like someone has been messing around with one of them. both bikes have DC frames & should have the footrests above the exhaust. If you give me the frame numbers I can check them for you as to the exact model. Or if you prefer to talk call me on 01223 843802

Comment

Originally posted by modelman View Post
            OK, i'll go along with that, i'm a Greeves virgin, & don't actually know the variations, BUT, I would imagine the centre stand/footrest frame to be interchangeable possibly,
            I.m wondering if I can use the existing frame as a template & fabricate an alternative with the footrest as indicated, don't want to chop the existing, just in case!
            Best thing is to email Gary Bamford garygmm@live.co.uk for the 25DC footrest drawings. Or alternatively contact Adrian Dickerson 01394 276361 he makes footrest and stands for the roadsters. Shame to cut about a 25DB assy as that may be of use for another restoration. I dont think you can reposition the footrests as indicated as thats a fixing bolt to the frame. I have attached pic of footrest mounting on my bike a 25DC, sorry not to clear but it looks like a different assembly altogether than the earlier DB one you have. It has a strengthening gusset welded to footrest bar.

Note: You need to be a paid up member of the GRA to have access to drawings
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/09/2020, 12:36 PM. Reason: Note added re membership of GRA for drawings

Comment

Many thanks again for the info, I have downloaded many Greeves roadster/twin & Siamese photos & most have the footrests UNDER the exhaust but one or two have them above, same frames as well??
              I will definitely NOT be chopping the existing assembly, already cut a couple of 6mm plates & drilled some holes in them, & I think i'll cut a pair of long-rear spacers & weld footrests to them to exit above the pipes, & use the existing centre stand. So the 'new' footrests will also act as the rear engine-plate spacer as well thus keeping the original bolts/holes.
              BTW, mine LOOKS factory??Click image for larger version  Name:	Footrest-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.7 KB ID:	83855

Comment

Looking at some pics on Google it looks like the low footrests were fitted with the siamese system and the high ones with seperate systems. Your bike would have had a siamese exhaust from new. Why are you not fitting the siamese system?
                Attached Files

Comment

Then there's the exception!! Click image for larger version

Name:	factory1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	83860 My frame No. is 25DC111

It has what appears to be a complete new Armours Siamese system, my original one I had in 62 was the same, I have a 'thing' about the look of a single, one sided silencer, I like the symmetry of the twins.
                  I'm having a 'go' at fabricating a new setup, if it fails, then I still have the original to put back on, & i'll have a spare silencer & pipes!!

Comment

modelman have sent you a PM with previous details I have on the bike.

Comment

Just cobbled up a pair of solid-bar footrests, they are threaded inside so act the same as the original engine-plate to frame mounts, I think the raised position will allow the pipes to pass under, they seem quite strong & tight, but I now wonder if they will be strong enough, as there's a bit of leverage involved.
                      The side-pieces are 6 ​ mm plate & still require the stand pivots &; stops to be made &; fitted.. Bit of trial & error really.
                      The bike 'rocked' a little bit on the stand, so I will make the pivot-point a few mm lower to compensate!
                      Any better ideas??​ ​​

Comment

I think you would be better to fit the complete correct high level footrest stand assy. There are bracing gussets on the original ones so I don't think just fixing them onto engine mounting bolt will be strong enough. Why not have a word with Adrian Dickerson and buy the correct assy, Adrian's prices are very reasonable and the final assy is of good quality.

Comment

OK will do, but I just wonder if the existing engine cradle-plates can be retained or do you think I need new ones as well.

Comment

Just come off the phone to Adrian & he explained how the high level assy works, he's just taken on a new job, thanks peeps.

Comment

If it helps this is my 25DB (1960) with the Armors Siamese collector, I had the same problem as I also would have preferred Twin Silencers but both the Footrests and Stand are in the way. If Adrian is making you a bespoke assy I would talk to Armors about trying the Pipes they have in stock for the Enfield Turbo Twin as they are Swept back and look much better the the Greeves type IMHO
                              Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_135758.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	83891Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_135831.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	83892Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_135918.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	554.4 KB