Now this is a genuine 'barn find'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is a genuine 'barn find'

This 25DD Essex Mk2 with Southend registration AJN748B has turned up on Greeves Enthusiasts Facebook page, still in Southend its only had one previous owner & done only 7465 miles from new. according to its new owner Sam Oshea it's been sitting since 1967, brakes gears and clutch all perfectly working order & he is thinking to just give it a clean and keep it in its original state as found. Frame number is 25DD605 and the registration has never been taken onto the DVLA computor, It was supplied by Southend dealer J Costin of London Road July 1964. Looks like he may need Colin's help to regain the number.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/06/2020, 09:42 AM. Reason: Frame No added

Nice.
    Wash and register.

whitehillbilly

Comment

One interesting point, AJN748B has the longer (2T style) exhaust pipes as fitted to the Essex 25DD Mk1. Shorter (more tucked in) pipes were fitted to the other 4T engined East Coaster, so looks like the factory were using up old stock on the Mk2 Essex. (see pics)
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
        Nice.
        Wash and register.

whitehillbilly
        Easy for you to say. I'm trying to advise him not to jump straight in and make problems for himself. For example I've told him not to put petrol in the tank 'cos it will ruin it. Also the original owner can't find the logbook. Oh joy!

John, do you know if the Southend Corporation vehicle records still exist?
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

New tyres & tubes will be needed, oils changed, cables and controls oiled, and I would take the wheels off and check the brake linings. I have know them to detach from the shoes after standing for many years. If that happens whilst being ridden it could result in a sticky end! Grease in the wheel bearings may have dried out; so much to check before firing up. Spanner-check end to end. Fingers crossed the centre crankshaft oil seal hasn't gone.....

As Colin says, ethanol fuel will destroy the tank .If he can obtain Avgas from the local airfield, that would be ok.

Still a good find though!

Ian C.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post

Easy for you to say. I'm trying to advise him not to jump straight in and make problems for himself. For example I've told him not to put petrol in the tank 'cos it will ruin it. Also the original owner can't find the logbook. Oh joy!

John, do you know if the Southend Corporation vehicle records still exist?
            Some of the Southend records are with a private individual John Taylor of Southend on Sea but he only has records up to YJN999 subsequent records have been lost or destroyed. This is the definitive reply I have from John. So owner of AJN748B needs to find the old buff logbook

"After YJN 999 files were retained in the office. After conversion to the DVLA computer all files and those of vehicles not transferred to DVLA were sent to the Central Repository and subsequently destroyed. All Chelmsford (Essex Archives) have are the registers from HJ 1 - BJN 999. The registers from CHJ 1 - WJN 999 were transferred to the ERO at Southend after which they seem to have lost them as they are not at Chelmsford."

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
              New tyres & tubes will be needed, oils changed, cables and controls oiled, and I would take the wheels off and check the brake linings. I have know them to detach from the shoes after standing for many years. If that happens whilst being ridden it could result in a sticky end! Grease in the wheel bearings may have dried out; so much to check before firing up. Spanner-check end to end. Fingers crossed the centre crankshaft oil seal hasn't gone.....

As Colin says, ethanol fuel will destroy the tank .If he can obtain Avgas from the local airfield, that would be ok.

Ian C.
              Ian. The centre seal on a 4T is a metal labyrinth seal so wont be a problem, but the centre roller bearing and the outer bearings may have rusted if oil has dried out. This will be evident by a 'whirring' sound when engine runs, hopefully they will be OK. The brake shoes in this period were normally rivited on so again should be OK, brake drums will need a rub round with emery cloth to remove surface rust.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/06/2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post

Ian C.
                Very much so, Ian, nice to see a genuine survivor like that. Plenty to think about - like, does he even know to add oil to the fuel and is there oil in the gearbox and the primary chaincase? Be a mistake to take anything for granted.

Thanks for your input, John.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

John Good point about the 4T centre seal, of which I wasn't aware. It is the 2T & 3T ones which could be problematic. Regarding the brake shoes, they may well be riveted, but he won't know all is well until he checks, will he? As you say Colin, take nothing for granted! Then it can be enjoyed with peace of mind.

Ian C.

Comment

Working...
                  X