Essex mk2 stiff gearbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex mk2 stiff gearbox?

just wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice re this. My Essex with the 4T engine has what I would describe as a very stiff action on the gearbox. It will change and all gears are available but it takes a lot of pressure on the lever to do so. I've had a look at the clutch side and that seems to be working fine and doesn't drag or slip. The clutch push rod set up gearbox side seems okay with about 5/16 protrudence. I've not taken the gearbox apart yet as not overconfident at getting it back together correctly. Is it a problem the 4T owners have come across and are there any engineers in the East Midlands that club members could recommend?. Thanks

Not normally a problem. Is this a problem that has just developed? What grade of oil are you using? Does it ease after the box has warmed up? Do the gears select easier when engine is not running?
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/03/2020, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Hi John, thinking back it has always been stiff but I felt it was getting slightly worse so thought perhaps I ought to look at it before the riding season kicks off properly. It has sae 30 Castrol oil in. If anything it gets worse when warm and no when the bike is not running it doesn't want to go into 3 and 4 at all.

Comment

Looks like you need to strip the box down, something obviously amiss inside. Note you need to remove the clutch and withdraw the whole gear assembly which on reassembly needs to go in as one unit, you cant do it by just removing the end cover. Best (if you have not already got one) to get the Villiers workshop manual, reprints available from Villiers Services & other sources.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/03/2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks I will let you know the outcome when sorted.

Comment

Working...
          X