Greeves Essex fork alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Essex fork alignment

Hi, hope this isn't too daft a question but on my Essex when seated with the front wheel straight the handlebars are slightly out of alignment with the throttle side further back. It's not the bars the the top of the forks are also slightly out. On old trail bikes I used to just loosen all the yoke bolts twist the alignment back and tighten up. Obviously on the Essex the top of the fork legs are enclosed in the nacelle etc. Is this a well known thing and is there an easy fix. The bike rides fine but now I've noticed it I want to sort it, thanks
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Its not normal for a roadster forks to be out of line unless its been in an accident or been dropped, have you tried putting your legs each side of front wheel and twisting handle bars? As you say the clamping bolts are under a cover, but as these are only expandable clamps (like rawlbolts) so they may give enough to straighten forks. If not you may have to look further, maybe a fork leg is bent.
    I believe you bought this bike from Earnshaws M/Cs Huddersfield last Feb. so if there is a major problem I would take it back to them and ask them to fix it, as they are a dealer you have consumer rights.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/05/2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc Spencer View Post
      Hi, hope this isn't too daft a question but on my Essex when seated with the front wheel straight the handlebars are slightly out of alignment with the throttle side further back. It's not the bars the the top of the forks are also slightly out. On old trail bikes I used to just loosen all the yoke bolts twist the alignment back and tighten up. Obviously on the Essex the top of the fork legs are enclosed in the nacelle etc. Is this a well known thing and is there an easy fix. The bike rides fine but now I've noticed it I want to sort it, thanks
      Check that the bar clamps are bored in line properly. Greeves engineering is not perfect! The clamp holes may be out a bit. Or the holes might be a bit big on the clamps. Try loosening them and see if the bars will clamp up straight.

Comment

I notice that the clamps are fitted matching each other, suggest to reverse one to mirror the other, that is how mine are fitted, then pull into line before tightening, I hope this suggestion helps, Regards Les,

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will have a look during the week. Thinking back I didn't notice it before I replaced the front tyre so perhaps loosening things and retightening, or playing with the clamps may just about resolve it, cheers

Comment

Looking at the picture again. Although you say not and It might just be the lens angle - but the right side of the bars looks more angled back and slightly bent. It looks out compared with the left side. As John says, it might have been in a shunt.

Comment

Thing to remember is that unlike tele forks the bottom yoke is welded to fork legs, so its not a question of slackening clamps off and pulling them straight, only top yoke can move. So the bottom yoke in event of accident damage will be bent.

Comment

Working...
              X