RCA engined DC roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCA engined DC roadster

This photo has appeared on Greeves Enthusiast FB site, posted by Andrew Westlake of a 25DC fitted with a 350cc RCA engine, in 1958 a Greeves Fleetmaster 325HEV was fitted with a 350cc RCA engine by Peter Hogan and used as a test bed Its obviously not that bike but a later creation. Anyone know more about the bike in the pic?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	48383367_958383454359346_1132703452867067904_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	205.1 KB ID:	73266
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/12/2018, 05:41 PM. Reason: text amended re the 1958 Fleetmaster

Don't know the bike but it is interesting to see the modifications to the frame at the rear, presumably because the original toolbox had to be removed to create space for the carbs?

Comment

It looks like a modified DC frame, so a little out of time for the RCA engine. Interesting machine none the less.

Comment

I have since made contact with Andy Westlake (the motorcycle journalist) and he took the photo, it was built by and owned by a VMCC member in South Dorset who also owns the replica of an ISDT BMW he has built.
        Andy has offered to put me in touch with the owner so hopefully we will find out more. Andy says he did an article on the BMW in The Classic Motorcyclist (I think he means Classic Motorcycle)
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/12/2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          It looks like a modified DC frame, so a little out of time for the RCA engine. Interesting machine none the less.
          Here is a link to Vic Willoughby's test of the earlier Fleetmaster http://www.dolphinengines.co.uk/data/uploads/64.pdf The performance was little better than a good 2T or 3T engined bike, hence presumably why Greeves never fitted the RCA engine in a production bike.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/12/2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

It wasn't a Greeves factory project. In January 1958, Peter Hogan simply used a 1957 roadster as a test-bed for his new engine.

It gets a mention in my book - page 60.

As Ian points out, this nice replica uses a post-1960 DC roadster frame.
            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 24/12/2018, 11:07 AM. Reason: Wrong attribution of comment. Apologies.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

More on the RCA engine http://www.dolphinengines.co.uk/data/uploads/65.pdf

Comment

Some more pics
                Attached Files

Comment

I wonder what happened to 325 HEV, not shown on DVLA Was it originally a works demonstrator with an Anzani or Villiers engine. From what we know Peter Hagon had it on loan for a week. Who was it on loan from, Greeves? If so it was probably a 325 Anzani engine (does 325 in the Essex reg number give a clue) Bit of a cheek on Peters part to swop engines and then go public by having it road tested by Vic Willoughby. I can understand the owner (Bert Greeves?) not being best pleased.

Comment

Working...
                  X