325 East Coaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean it wasn't the £20.00 note clipped to the application

It will be interesting to see if the Griffon Enduro causes as much grief next month.
    Last edited by tony; 10/04/2018, 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Sunny ride

Desperate to go for a ride on the bike I waited for the number plate to arrive. Big disappointed as they had the top two letters in the wrong order.
      Fortunately the online receipt shows it was their error.
      Well as you can see in the last photo probably not legal but needs must.
      The bike started easily and I had a good ride round the local lanes, though the thin tyres make it a bit slippery when going over the mud.

Comment

Did anyone stop you Tony and ask for an ice-cream?

Comment

Looking good tony

Comment

Good job Tony, good that a rare bike has survived and is being ridden, one of only 4 known and one of only 2 known to be restored and roadworthy.

32DD 124B ATL 237A b/case found in USA 4/17 & bought by UK GRA member restored by 2/18 A
            32DD 125B GRA member in Canada un-restored C
            Note these have a DD frame number which may have been from old stock to make up a 32DC fitted with steel tank & alloy guards so not an Essex.
            32DC 148B In USA believed a runner A
            32DC 153B in USA possible runner colour blue B owner Otto de Jager 5/17 sold again by 2/18 new owner as yet unknown.

Comment

Lucky man still trying to get my East Coaster running

Comment

Not that lucky my 250 East Coaster its still in bits

Comment

Sunny day

Getting a few more miles on the bike, running well.

Back box does not look out of place and matches the panniers well.

Comment

Looks a bit like it could have been a police bike.

Comment

• Since the TFS Trail is on SORN for a few days I took the East Coaster to work.
                      Noticeably smoother and quicker journey, fortunately no mud with those skinny tyres.
                      Plenty of room for the sandwiches as well

Comment

• Hot starting

After a good run I stopped to have a look at a friend's recently acquired Francis Barnett (beauty is in the eye of the beholder ). As he was having lunch I said I will come back in half an hour so tried starting the bike, nowt. He had finished lunch and I was still going nowhere . We checked the plugs cleaned, them, checked for a spark, still nothing. About 15 minutes later tried again and it started. This is not the first time it won't start when hot, starts easily when cold.
                        What's the answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by tony View Post
                          After a good run I stopped to have a look at a friend's recently acquired Francis Barnett (beauty is in the eye of the beholder ). As he was having lunch I said I will come back in half an hour so tried starting the bike, nowt. He had finished lunch and I was still going nowhere . We checked the plugs cleaned, them, checked for a spark, still nothing. About 15 minutes later tried again and it started. This is not the first time it won't start when hot, starts easily when cold.
                          What's the answer?
                          Others including myself have had this problem, there does not seem to be a definitive answer. Possibly todays crap petrol and fuel evaporation.
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/08/2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Starting problems

Forgive a relative Greeves newbie (but with over 50 years of biking experience) for making a few comments on this one. If the plug has been cleaned to remove any whiskers and there is no spark I fail to see what the quality of petrol has to do with it. If there was a spark with the plug held against the head but it still didnt go then surely this points to a possible problem with the ignition system not firing when under cylinder compression.
                            As a retired oil refinery man you are better off not using today's standard grade fuel with ethanol due to it attacking any rubber components in the fuel system - but if you have changed your piping, fuel taps and carb internals for viton units that shouldnt be a problem. Supermarket fuel is cheaper than your Shell, Esso, BP branded fuels because of the cheaper additives used. We use (relatively speaking) so little fuel on our bikes it's not going to cost you a lot to use a better fuel, ie the premium grade of the branded fuel. I use Shell VPower Nitro on my '71 BSA A65T and for premixing for the Greeves. At the moment the premium grades do not contain ethanol generally. Incidentally summer and winter grades of motor spirit are different beasts. Winter grades have more volatile components in them to assist vaporisation in the carb or fuel injectors. Generally production of summer grade starts on March 1st and winter grade on September 1st (or thereabouts). So if you dont use your bike a lot and you've filled it up with winter grade then you could end up with it vaporising on a very hot day in summer (and of course the opposite effect in winter). Allowing for the lag in the logistics train come April 1st and October 1st drain any fuel from the tank and refill with fresh fuel.
                            Forgive these ramblings of an old man but to me some aspects of what has been said dont seem to add up.
                            Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

• Tony perhaps didn't phrase it that well. I think what he meant was that they checked for a spark, it was present, but still the bike wouldn't start..?
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Indeed Colin, Tony did say he had checked for sparks, and those that have been following Tony's restoration of this bike will know that the engine has been checked over and rebuilt as necessary by a well qualified GRA member.
                                So what else can it be other than fuel, I and others have had similar problems, particularly during this recent very hot weather.
                                This seems a particular problem with Villiers engined two strokes, I have not heard of 4 strokes playing up with these symptoms. Indeed my Yamaha T80 Townmate (a 4 stroke) always fires up easily, as does my aged Qualcast motor mower even after strange a couple of weeks.
                                Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/08/2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X