Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wakefield
    replied
    Now back in Essex, following pics taken on Monday 20th June at Castle Hedingham after the special now registered JWE753C was acquired by its new owner Dave Orbell. Note the May 61 tax dis is a reproduction put on by the previous owner, the bike was not built then! It had an 03/95 tax disc when in Stondon Motor Museum
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/06/2022, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied
    Some pics of Bert Greeves & Rod Slade with the special
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied
    Its on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234267669...4AAOSwUzxhdpWu starting bid at £2995
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied
    More info

I have recently gained a bit more info as to what has happened to Rod Slades bikes after the museum closed. Looks like they went back to his family. see http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ighlight=Slade
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/03/2017, 12:56 PM. Reason: Rob changed to Rod (full name Rodney Lance Slade)

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied
    Rob Slade OBG

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
    Just read the article posted by Brian Thompson very interesting, is the Slade OBG still in circulation or is it in hibernation?The reg no's leave a few questions unanswered?
    The bike is in hibernation along with Rod's 20DC with 3T engine (frame No. 61/2858) retained by Chris Saunders who used to run the Stondon Motor Museum, which closed recently with the majority of exhibits sold at auction. The two Greeves which were not in the auction remained with Mr Saunders.
    The correct reg for the Special is FSV 549 & the 20DC XRD 274. I assume that like a lot of owners back then Rod used the same number on both bikes to save tax, highly illegal but no one bothered those days, no APR checks & a Greeves was a Greeves as far as the coppers on the beat were concerned. As long as the tax disc corresponded with the reg. number all was fine, no one bothered to check frame numbers back then.
    If anyone wants to find out what Mr Saunders plans are for the bikes his phone number was 01462 850339 email stondonmuseum@gmail.com (if its still connected)
    When I contacted Chris Saunders at the time of the auction he said that at the present they were not being sold, but if things change he would contact me. I have not heard anything further so presume he still wants to keep them, would be nice though if they did come up for sale that GRA members got a chance to buy them first.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2022, 10:05 PM. Reason: XRD274 amended to a 20DC

Leave a comment:

• mikerwt
    replied
    OBG Special

Just read the article posted by Brian Thompson very interesting, is the Slade OBG still in circulation or is it in hibernation?The reg no's leave a few questions unanswered?

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied
    Rob Slades Special a query as to frame

Having recently revisited this thread there seems a query as to what bike the frame of Rod Slade's Special came from.
    In the article in British Bike Magazine the writer says that the frame was from an MCS scrambler, but the actual frame number (I took it down during a visit to Stondon some years ago) is 60/1125 which relates to a 1960 20TC. The real frame number is 20DC427, the 60/1125 number is on a metal plate stick to frame! So is the article wrong or did Rod mix & match frame parts & used a TC beam but an MCS main frame? Here is the pic of the bike in Stondon Museum (its the one on the right)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2022, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied
    Rod Slade's 'OBG Special' Roadster.

Here is another pic taken by myself in May 2004 giving the rear view, strangely both bikes are displayed with the same registration number.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2022, 10:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Wakefield
    replied

Rod's special, plus his 3T engined 20DC XRD274 are exhibited at the Stondon Motor Museum http://www.flickr.com/photos/1132820...-6w3YMt-6w3ZpR

Looks to have had further development since the road test, ie re designed exhaust system, according to tax disc it was last on the road in 1995. Also has a Challenger barrel & head, the British Bike Magazine says it was an MCS!
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2022, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Thompson
    started a topic Rod Slade's 'OBG Special' Roadster.

Here's something scanned from my files for the roadster lads to enjoy, hopefully.

It's an article scanned from the long out of print 'British Bike Magazine' (#33, June 1990), and although sadly no longer with us, Rod Slade will be known (as will this bike) to many long standing GRA members, especially those who attended the shows at Southend back in the day.

A really neat little bike this.

Brian.
    Attached Files
Working...
X