Electronic (CDI) ignition & 12volt lighting for twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic (CDI) ignition & 12volt lighting for twins

I have recently been talking to Lewis at Villiers Services about a planned 12volt CDI & lighting system for Villiers 2,3 & 4T twins. Apparently these are being developed by Electrex World http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ & are based on their current system for the A type singles. From what Lewis tells me the system will not require a battery, but frankly I cant see how this would work on a road bike as you need a battery for a stable voltage for the lights, horn & indicators (if fitted). The Electrex World systems are not cheap at around £240. As ignition problems seem to be a source of problems to many Villiers twin owners, & coupled with the fact that the 6 volt system as made by Villiers is antiquated in terms of voltage control, battery charging & light output there is no doubt that a more modern system would be of interest to some owners, but only if it is reliable & fault free. Has anyone fitted an Electrex World ignition system to their trials or scrambler? If so is it worth the money?
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/11/2011, 12:50 PM. Reason: removed contentious wording

Electronic Ignition

I have fitted Electrex world ignition systems to 2 BSAs. They both work well and cost me about £150 each. The downside is that the spark is very difficult to see like most electronic systems.
    If your bike won't start in a sunny paddock you won't know if the spark has gone or is just hiding.

Druid

Comment

Electrex systems

Originally posted by druid View Post
      I have fitted Electrex world ignition systems to 2 BSAs. They both work well and cost me about £150 each. The downside is that the spark is very difficult to see like most electronic systems.
      If your bike won't start in a sunny paddock you won't know if the spark has gone or is just hiding.

Druid
      Presumably your BSA one is for ignition only. The ones with combined lighting are much more expensive this one for a D1-D7 Bantam is £234 with vat & thats only a single. http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-b...100#aSTK_2d100

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        I have recently been talking to Lewis at Villiers Services about a planned 12volt CDI & lighting system for Villiers 2,3 & 4T twins. Apparently these are being developed by Electrex World http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ & are based on their current system for the A type singles. From what Lewis tells me the system will not require a battery, but frankly I cant see how this would work on a road bike as you need a battery for a stable voltage for the lights, horn & indicators (if fitted). I put a phone call in this afternoon to Electrex World but the only guy there who could talk technical about their systems was out in the car park working on a customers bike!!! The woman who answered the phone asked me to phone back tommorrow & did not offer to call me back when the guy became free. So much for customer care.
        Looking at various other biker forums it appears there may be problems with the reliabillity Electrex World systems, which at a cost of around £250 each are not cheap. As ignition problems seem to be a source of problems to many Villiers twin owners, & coupled with the fact that the 6 volt system as made by Villiers is antiquated in terms of voltage control, battery charging & light output there is no doubt that a more modern system would be of interest to some owners, but only if it is reliable & fault free. Has anyone fitted an Electrex World ignition system to their trials or scrambler? If so is it worth the money?
        I toyed with the idea of going coil ignition with a couple of Royal Enfield ignition coils as the 2T will charge a battery ok.The only problem I could think of would be running with the lights on.Having an ampmeter fitted would tell you if it was charging ok.I always like coil ignition as you have a fat spark even with a little prod on the kickstart.

Comment

Electronic ignition

John,
          You presume correctly - they're for my scramblers. Whilst I am incredibly slow I've never finished a race so late that I needed lights!

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
            John,
            You presume correctly - they're for my scramblers. Whilst I am incredibly slow I've never finished a race so late that I needed lights!

Druid
            Clever Druid!

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              I have recently been talking to Lewis at Villiers Services about a planned 12volt CDI & lighting system for Villiers 2,3 & 4T twins. Apparently these are being developed by Electrex World http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ & are based on their current system for the A type singles. From what Lewis tells me the system will not require a battery, but frankly I cant see how this would work on a road bike as you need a battery for a stable voltage for the lights, horn & indicators (if fitted). I put a phone call in this afternoon to Electrex World but the only guy there who could talk technical about their systems was out in the car park working on a customers bike!!! The woman who answered the phone asked me to phone back tommorrow & did not offer to call me back when the guy became free. So much for customer care.
              Looking at various other biker forums it appears there may be problems with the reliabillity Electrex World systems, which at a cost of around £250 each are not cheap. As ignition problems seem to be a source of problems to many Villiers twin owners, & coupled with the fact that the 6 volt system as made by Villiers is antiquated in terms of voltage control, battery charging & light output there is no doubt that a more modern system would be of interest to some owners, but only if it is reliable & fault free. Has anyone fitted an Electrex World ignition system to their trials or scrambler? If so is it worth the money?
              Hi John,

I have the Electrex on my 250 Griffon and MX4 Challenger with no issues so far. However one did give up the ghost on a fellows Motocross Special at an event a few months back. I don't know all the details why the unit failed.

I would be very interested in installing one on my 2T Sports twin if they do work out well.

Kenny

Comment

2T coil ignition

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                I toyed with the idea of going coil ignition with a couple of Royal Enfield ignition coils as the 2T will charge a battery ok.The only problem I could think of would be running with the lights on.Having an ampmeter fitted would tell you if it was charging ok.I always like coil ignition as you have a fat spark even with a little prod on the kickstart.
                Stuart
                A workable coil ignition system is feasable on the 2,3 & 4T as per this conversion by Bill Drummond, but it remains 6 volt. http://www.users.waitrose.com/~colinatkinson/mq26.htm

Comment

I have Electrex fitted on my racing Yamaha TZ 250 twin and I have had no problems with it. I have just fitted one to my Anglian and on it's first trial, the Perce Simon last Saturday, it was a first kick starter. It is difficult to see the spark though.

GRA member Pete Smith has fitted the lighting version to his Scottish so it would be interesting to see how he has got on with it. I will have a word with him at the committee meeting this Saturday.

Rob

PS - That explains why Druid only enters the first couple of races of each meeting!

Comment

Another source

A poster on Real Classics forum says he has had a 12 volt ignition/charging system fitted to his 2T engined bike supplied by Rex Caunt Racing http://www.rexcauntracing.com/
                    They dont seem to list one for the Villiers 2T on their web site but can presumably make up as a special. Like Electrex their prices are not cheap

Comment

Why is it harder to see the spark on this system? Surely if a spark is strong enough to start a bike, it will be visible, no matter the type of ignition.

Mike

Comment

Good question, I have asked this in the past. One theory is that it is a purer spark from the electronic system (whatever that means!) and doesn't have the colour that an ordinary system produces. No doubt someone will find an answer to this that some of us will understand!

Comment

Sparking Check For Electronic Ignitions.

To check for a spark with the electronic ignition systems fit a strobe meter between the plug and HT lead. If the strobe meter lights up when you kick the bike over it means the system is working ok.

Comment

Here is a link to fitting instructions https://www.dropbox.com/s/geq90rc5g2...-920L.pdf?dl=0

Comment

Did you read the last two lines John?

Comment

Working...
                              X