Silverstone aluminium fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverstone aluminium fuel tank

I have been doing some research into the fabrication of aluminium fuel tanks to replace the standard glassfibre tank on our Silverstones.

Having approached several aluminium motorcycle tank makers, none have come up and said, yes – I can do that and have the pattern. A couple have said, yes if you can supply a sacrificial glassfibre tank, we can make a mold from which to make aluminium ones.

I have a glassfibre Silverstone tank that I am prepared to sacrifice to make the mold. And one of the fabricators is not far away so I could let them have my RDS while they make the first tank to ensure a good fit.

Now for the costs. Making the mold from the sacrificial tank is going to cost circa £600 - for us it would be a burn cost which we would have to fund collectively. After that a rough estimate of the production cost per tank would be circa £800 - £1,000.

To progress, what I would need to know is who is seriously interested?

Unfortunately that's way beyond my budget. Just got a brand new fibreglass one made for me by Roger Ennis for 220 quid.

Comment

Update - TAB Classics https://tabclassics.com/ have found the pattern for the Silverstone tank they made many years ago. The base of the tank pattern is missing but if I sacrifice my glassfibre tank they can use that.

If we can get an order together for four, the price will be £594 each (inc. VAT).

Interested?

Comment

Working...
      X