Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing

I need to run my race bike, a Lucas (no nobody has heard of it either) to check its OK before meetings. I have used a service road in an industrial estate that is deserted on a sunday morning to check that it will start, but looking for a more formal arrangement I spoke to Tockwith aerodrome, near York, who allow use for 90 minutes for £20.00. I will be trying this out fairly soon, but does anyone know of a suitable similar venue down south, south of London? Ian B. keeps entering his Silverstone for meetings only to do one lap before something goes wrong. Peter.

Interesting. Interweb brings up nothing.
    Pic and info please.

whitehillbilly.

Comment

Track day at Brands or Lydden?

Comment

There used to be lots of old disused airfields that you could get onto for bike tuning etc, most now have been re developed or if they do remain much of the concrete runways and perimeter track have been broken up or in poor condition if still there.

Comment

Gosfield just above Braintree is an old WW2 airfield. If it is still available it is approx 3/4 mile straight with turnaround one end. Unfortunately the owner put a speed bump half way down. Last time I went it was about £60 all day. I have had some good test sessions there. Very quiet unless the HGV driving school are in but they just use the other end. 01787 472010

Comment

If we're on a nostalgia tour, I used to go to Duxford and chat the security guard into letting me on the runway. That was in the early 70s before the Imperial War Museum really got going there. On a number of occasions I shared the runway with the local Air Cadets, winching their glider airborne. It was of course really useful t have somewhere to run a bike up through the gears without having to go to the expense of a trip to Brands or Snetterton. Tough to find such places now I fear. But I guess we could always buy a stately home with a long drive.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLS View Post
              If we're on a nostalgia tour, I used to go to Duxford and chat the security guard into letting me on the runway. That was in the early 70s before the Imperial War Museum really got going there. On a number of occasions I shared the runway with the local Air Cadets, winching their glider airborne. It was of course really useful t have somewhere to run a bike up through the gears without having to go to the expense of a trip to Brands or Snetterton. Tough to find such places now I fear. But I guess we could always buy a stately home with a long drive.
              Duxford was in 1960's a venue for sprint meetings quite a few records were broken there. Used to take road bikes and Go kart up there. It was just open for all then you could just drive in. Happy days.

Comment

Track day at Brands Hatch is a good one but watch out for their noise limit - from memory it's lower than 105db for track days. I raced karts at Camberley Kart Club which is on Blackbushe airfield and there is a lot of the old runway that could be used - worth asking.

Comment

For anyone further North then Teeside Race / Kart Track in Midlesborough holds regular testing

The home of UK drifting, Teesside Autodrome boasts a 2.1km sprint circuit suitable for cars, motorbikes and karts. Situated in the heart of Middlesbrough, we offer a range of motorsport activities including karting, car testing, drifting, mini-moto and moped mayhem.

Comment

Working...
                  X